Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dburris
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Burris

Re: New ransomware that targets backups. Are we susceptible

Post by dburris »

What someone gains admin access to the Veeam B&R server, deletes the backups, and then encrypts files. I understand we could use external USB drives or tapes to keep the data safe. But what if we are relying on Veeam Cloud Connect for off-site backups. I see there is an option there too to "Delete from disk". Is there a way to keep the Veeam Cloud archives safe from in this scenario?

Thanks,
Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

Your service provider certainly can arrange that. One way that immediately comes to my mind is to setup periodic storage-based snapshots on backup repository.
thjones
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kenneth

Post by thjones »

Is it enough to use windows defender as antimalware scanner on each computer? In addition, I can conduct strong password policy, update all antimalware and net protecting software, plus keep primary security rules https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/9-ti ... rd-snowden I mean if I maintains security system in decent order, will this new malware penetrate in the system or pass round?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

Of course it would, because Windows Defender only carries signatures to known malware. If you're "lucky" to get a newly released one, it won't protect you.
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Post by lukejf »

hey guys
I see some of you are using non domain joined veeam servers. How do you go doing restores directly back to the servers. IE AD users, Mailbox objects. We found in version 8 it failed to complete file restores correctly unless it was on the domain.
We always use tape however would like some tips on securing the backup repository
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1262 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Luke,

Can't remember well how it was in v8, but today this should not be a problem. For example, see here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 to recover AD objects where you can specify a particular username / pwd to connect to your AD for restore. Do note however that your networking must allow this so look at the requirements for ports also.

On the backup repository. I tend to use a specific account to connect to the backup repository. An account that isn't used for something else. Ransomware tends to run in a user context (the user that it used to start its bad things) so if that account is not used, it won't succeed in encrypting your backup files. Please don't forget to store that account / pwd somewhere in a safe (preferred outside the company premises) so that in worse case you have access to the files :-)
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk » 1 person likes this post

Any know cases of this latest Ransom-WannaCry infecting backups, from the AV vender info, the VBK extension isn't listed, so hopefully its ok.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1262 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mark,

From what I can find, VBK are indeed not affected by this one. But never say never as these tend to change very fast :-(. Don't forget that MSFT has patched the security hole with the March update so make sure your machines are patched!
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

We moved Veeam to a backup-only domain (no-email, no web-browsing, etc.) to gain the benefits of AD, while limiting exposure to Ransomeware.
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive » 1 person likes this post

does anyone have a nice powershells script we can run to target client and servers to see if the computer is protected from this attack?
for me it seems like the ms17-010 website refers to very many different KBs and also that some KBs replace other etc.
Would be great to have a powershelgl script we could execute on all servers and clients to verify it this gap is closed.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Hi Frankie,

Check this script below:

Code: Select all

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Script-for-check-Specific-46caba5d

Code: Select all

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Powershell-Query-a-patch-67cf35f8
Hope that helps you.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */