Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
applc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris A

New VM with same name

Post by applc »

Hello,

I recently deleted a VM, then created a new VM with the same name as the deleted VM. The Veeam backup job then failed, which makes sense. So I edited the job by removing the old VM from the job, and added the newly created one.

My question is, does Veeam recognize this as a completely new VM, and therefore do a complete full backup of it? Or does it recognize it as a previously backed up VM, and only do an incremental (assuming of course the backup job is set to do an incremental).

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: New VM with same name

Post by Sethbartlett »

It recognizes it as a new VM and does a full. When you remove a VM from inventory and add a VM from inventory in VMWare, the Virtual Center server gives it a Reference ID. When you overwrite or create a new VM, the VC gives it a new Ref ID so it is considered as a new VM.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
applc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris A

Re: New VM with same name

Post by applc »

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarifcation and confirmation! Keep up the good work guys.