Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ehumbertson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric

Newbie Question Clearing Space

Post by ehumbertson »

I have run out of space for anymore restore points. I have changed the retention on one of the Backup sets that uses an agent as the machine is not a VM. Since those changes the backup is failing due to space. I am not the one that set things up so I am unsure what type of backup it is but I think it is reverse incremental. I currently have a full and 14 incrementals but I changed the retention to be seven. How can I make room for the backup to run? Veeam is installed on a Windows 2012 R2 server. Please help as my backups have been failing since the 18th of December.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Newbie Question Clearing Space

Post by foggy »

ehumbertson wrote:I have changed the retention on one of the Backup sets that uses an agent as the machine is not a VM.
Could you please elaborate on this?

What files do you currently see in the backup repository? If there're VBK and some VIBs, then it is forward incremental and I'm afraid you would have to move the entire chain somewhere to start anew with shorter retention (however, keep in mind, that this method requires space for more than one full backup). If there're VBK with VRB incremental files, you can remove some older VRBs to get space to continue. You can also open job settings at check for backup method there.