Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Matts N
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Matts Nilsson

NFS client possible on VBR server?

Post by Matts N »

Hello!
Since storing backups on NFS attached to an ESX server isn't possible with ESXi, I'm looking into options to network attached storage. CIFS is an obvious choice, but is there any way to present an NFS share to a VBR server for storing the backups?

I've read this: Veeam vPower NFS Service same port

So using the Windows Service for NFS is out, since I haven't been able to find a way to not use port 111 for the Windows NFS client.

Should I forget about using an NFS share attached directly to VBR or is there some way around this?

TIA!

// Matts
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: NFS client possible on VBR server?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matts, if you are looking to share some files (such as ISO images) on Veeam Backup server via NFS, then you can simply put the files into vPower NFS root folder (the one you specified during setup). Our NFS server automatically shares out any files located in this folder. Just keep in mind that multiple heavy users accessing those files may affect performance of actual vPower-based functionality (such as in case of actual disaster, when you need to instantly recover a VM). Thanks!
Matts N
Enthusiast

Post by Matts N »

No, sorry that I was a little unclear. I want it the other way around, I want to know if I can use the VBR server as an NFS client to an NFS share on external storage. The goal is to use NFS as the destination for VBR backups, instead of CIFS, if possible, reason being that ESXi isn't supported as destination.

But thanks for a quick response! :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I think you should be able to use NFS client on Veeam server fine... what you cannot use is NFS server. In other words, there should not be another process listening on NFS ports on Veeam Backup server.

Just try it ;)
Matts N
Enthusiast

Post by Matts N »

I did try with the Service for Network File System in Windows Server 2008 R2. Problem is, it installs the server part even if I only want to use the client. But I will give it another go and update with result. :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you could not use that if it installs server. I was thinking some generic NFS client... but on a second thought, NFS client should still be listening on NFS ports, correct? Then this will not work....
arsprod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Post by arsprod »

I'm trying to install the nfs client on the Veeam server, which is a virtual Windows 2008r2 server. It keeps failing and then wants to reboot to uninstall. The only thing on this machine is Veeam. Is there something about Veeam that disables nfs services from running/installing?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Post by Gostev »

Yes. Veeam B&R v5 installs its own NFS server (vPower NFS). This is what causes your issue, you cannot have both installed at the same time. Thanks.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Re: installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Post by arsprod »

does it use same command set as windows? how do I mount an nfs share?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, it does not use the same commands. But I forgot there is an existing topic talking about the same stuff... I merged the two discussions now. Basically, you can use vPower NFS to share out files, please see my 1st post above. Hope this helps.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

well... what I'm trying to do is backup to an nfs share on a san (same as location of veeam server). How do I know where the original vpower nfs share is (i've slept since then!)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, now that I understand what you are trying to do, this is not possible. Why do you present your SAN as NFS share? Does it perhaps support CIFS, or may be FC or iSCSI (even better)?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I think this issue here is that even NFS client requires "portmap" service, and Veeam's NFS server already uses this port. You might be able to stop the Veeam Power NFS service to get the "NFS Client" pieces installed, and then see if they'll happen to coexist.

My question, why use NFS instead of CIFS? Just curious.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

answering both of your questions (and it's the same one), cifs is slower than nfs so I was trying to optimize speed. iscsi won't work because of the 500gb limit. I figured I could just map the nfs share on the veeam server and send my backups there, all on the same nfs share as the veeam server. Always sounds simple?!

Oh, and the other reason is I already copied all my bu files to the nfs share. now starting over with the cifs share!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

tsightler wrote:I think this issue here is that even NFS client requires "portmap" service, and Veeam's NFS server already uses this port. You might be able to stop the Veeam Power NFS service to get the "NFS Client" pieces installed, and then see if they'll happen to coexist.
That is correct, this is the reason. Unfortunately, they will not be able to coexist. This will result in chasing conditions during system boot, whichever process "takes" the port first wins. If NFS Client wins, then vPower NFS service will fail to start. There are couple of topics here where product install would fail for this exact reason (Setup was unable to start VeeamNfsSvc service).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

arsprod wrote:iscsi won't work because of the 500gb limit
Huh? Or is that something specific to your SAN?
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

[MERGED] vPower NFS as a NFS client?

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

Hello.
Is there any way to use the vPower NFS implementation as a NFS client on the Windows platform that it is running on? E.i. to mount a NFS share on the server running the vPower NFS server.

The reason for my question is that the vPower NFS implementation on Windows prevents installation of other NFS Client, such as the Microsoft one, since it makes use of the portmap service for example.

Br Tobias.
lnmn249
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dale Hartung

[MERGED] vPower NFS and NFS Server together

Post by lnmn249 »

I would like to run an NFS server on a standalone machine that is already configured as a backup repository with vPower NFS enabled. I want the nfs server so I can utilize the disk space as an extra vsphere datastore.

I've had problems getting them to work simultaneously. The issues seems to be port assignment. Has anyone configured a machine this way and if so how was it done and what ports were used.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dale, it is not possible to use vPower NFS server and Windows NFS server on the same machine, because of the port conflicted you've mentioned.
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

I haven't done something like that myself, but if you don't find a better solution you can try using iscsi instead of nfs.
This will be more complex and less efficient if you just need if for ISO files for example, but still an optional possible workaround.

Yizhar
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You could also just configure the vPower NFS server to point as the space you desire and use it. In other words, if the Windows server has a E: drive that has 1TB of space that you want to share you can create a folder E:\vPowerNFS, and then configure vPower NFS to use this folder. Anything you manually place in that folder will be automatically shared out. I have many clients that use vPowerNFS as a common location to store ISO's and other data which needs to be shared.
marco.morzenti
Lurker
Full Name: Marco Morzenti

[MERGED] How to share a veeam physical disk to linux physica

Post by marco.morzenti »

Scenario:
Infrastracture
n. 1 Vmware 5.1 cluster (5 mode)
n. 1 Oracle phisical cluster (3 node)
n. 1 HP 3PAR 7200 Storage shared between Oracle and Vmware
Backup:
n. 1 Veeam physical machine
n. 1 HP MSA2000 mapped on Veeam machine
n. 1 HP MSL4048

Backup infrastructure:
MSA2000 have 2 LUN and both are mapped on Veeam Machine;
First LUN are used to Vmware backup;
Second LUN must be visible and usable on the Oracle cluster;

Veeam backup instal "vPower NFS", consequently it is not possible to install "windows NFS service".
How can I export the second disc on the Oracle cluster?

Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Marco, please review the thread above, should address your case. Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

[MERGED] NfsDatastore as NFS share ?

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

I wanted to install Windows NFS service on my Veeam Server.
Instead, can I use the NfsDatastore folder to grant access to an Unix or Linux client (to write in the directory) ?

Thanks.
Eric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: NfsDatastore as NFS share ?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Eric. Yes, you can do that. I don't believe it has any permissions system though. Thanks!
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

Hi Gostev,
Thanks for your quick reply !
Eric
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

Gostev,
I just did a test but unfortunately the unix client doesn't see any NFS share on my Veeam server. Any documentation I could find about this ?
Thanks !
Eric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It's a regular NFS v3 server. Try a different NFS client from a different computer. Thanks!
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

I tried from another unix server (client) using NFS v3. It can't see any shared folder on the veeam server.
It should be NfsDatastore right ?
I don't feel like we're talking about the same thing as Windows NFS here....
Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq » 2 people like this post

Hi Gostev,

I finally worked this out. I thought a showmount would return the nfs share. I was wrong.
Plus I had no idea I had to use the string "/VeeamBackup" in the path since the share on the Veeam server is named NfsDatastore.
I guess I'm little confused but now it's working and that's what matters :-)
Thanks for your time !
Eric