Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1358 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: NFS Repository on QNAP Appliance

Post by foggy » Oct 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Yes, in case of agent-enabled backup repository (the one you can install Veeam data mover on), there's no necessity to have additional proxy/proxying server in the target site. Data processing will be performed by the repository itself.

verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre » Oct 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Thank you... insthead, if I have a qnap I bring back to the original question of this topic: is it better to deploy a linux/windows as agent-anabled near the repository? Or is it better to connect the qnap in iscsi/nfs/cifs directly on the source proxy?
After reading this (and others) thread I've understood that:
- the communications between two different transport services are more stable, but use TCP protocol (poor performances)
- if I install a proxy on destination repository it is absolutely useless
- it is no easy to understand (due to tonnes of variables to consider) if it is better to connect the qnap in iscsi/nfs or cifs

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1358 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Oct 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Well, if it is a two-site setup (you did not make this clear initially) with QNAP located in the remote site, then configuration with the proxying server and QNAP mounted to it is the way to go.

verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre » Oct 28, 2014 5:10 pm

yes, two sites with 2Gb connection between source proxy and qnap... I've connected the qnap directly to the source proxy