Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Evans

Nimble to Nimble storage replication from Veeam

Post by aevans@ricoh.com.au »

Hi,

I'm working on the implementation of a new Nimble SF300 array for our backups & DR.
We are planning on using Veeam to initiate storage replication from the Production Nimble arrays to the new DR array.

Our networks are rather complicated and in the current configuration our Veeam B&R server only has network access to the new DR Nimble.
So my queries are.
1. Does the Veeam server need access to the Production Nimble's Management IP in order to initiate the storage replication & storage snapshots? Or does/can this start from the secondary nimble.
2. Do our source backup proxies need iscsi initiator's on the source Nimble network. I'm assuming only the target backup proxies would as source proxies won't really be used if we are using storage replication rather than HotAdd or NBD?

This article from Hal was very useful but doesn't answer our specific network configuration - https://www.veeam.com/blog/nimble-stora ... guide.html

Appreciate any thoughts or advice, Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Nimble to Nimble storage replication from Veeam

Post by foggy »

Hi Andrew, Veeam B&R still requires access to the source storage in case of storage replication, since initially the snapshot is created on it and then replicated to the target one, if replication is configured for the volume collection.
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for your response, I expected that was the case from what I saw appreciate your confirmation.
Are you able to advise if it's just the B&R server that needs to access the source storage? or do the source proxies need it also? do we even need source proxies in a storage replication scenario.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Proxy is not required for snapshot-only jobs, you just need to add the storage in Veeam B&R. Keep in mind that storage rescans will fail in case, though.
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer

Thanks very much for the information.