Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ianbutton1
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Re: No Catalyst Copy support?

Post by ianbutton1 » Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

I absolutely agree - Catalyst is great, Veeam is great - together they could be brilliant! Hurry up Veeam developers . . . !

rdrost
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: rdrost

Post by rdrost » Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

Dissapointing indeed. We are also waiting for this feature.
And also the ability to migrate backup jobs from one Storeonce to another including the backup chain which is not possible now. Maybe this comes along with "catalyst copy" support.
It's good to know the feature is still planned but i guess it will not come "soon".
(And bytheway the new Storeonce Cloud Bank feature is also not supported by Veeam. )

davemann
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Reichert

Post by davemann » Mar 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Personally, I'd rather see the ability to copy or move files/chains between Catalyst based repositories using the "Files" tab before native Catalyst Copy support. I'd like to move certain jobs/backup files to stores where they will dedupe better to each other rather than in gigantic stores, like I naively originally set up. Also, it would likely result in better parallel restore/backup job performance. Unfortunately the "Files" tab doesn't let you do this for Catalyst stores like it does with regular repositories.

I have over a PB worth of restore point data on my remote unit. One thing is for certain though, I'm not looking forward to the day when the 5100's go end-of-support, and someone asks how we can migrate the data from these units to new hardware. It will take FOREVER, if even be possible at all. And don't even tell me that Cloud is the answer. Who's got money for the storage, and the amount of bandwidth it will take to get there.

Not sure why some of you are having issues with merge operations that cause them to take any longer than SF creations, but on my end they run in about the same time. I have two 5100's with two expansion trays each, at my primary DC connected via 2x10GbE, and my remote site connected by a single 1GbE, and my copy jobs take a bit longer than I'd like, but certainly before the next day's run.

Storage Snapshot integration and a physical backup proxy tied into the SAN is a godsend.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Mar 04, 2019 10:49 am

Personally, I'd rather see the ability to copy or move files/chains between Catalyst based repositories using the "Files" tab before native Catalyst Copy support.
Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback. This is also on our list.

davemann
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Reichert

Post by davemann » Mar 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks.

Oh, and one more thing - Allow offload of files from Catalyst Stores to Tape via the "Files to Tape" jobs.

-Dave

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am

This one is also there.