Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rdrost
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: rdrost

Re: No Catalyst Copy support?

Post by rdrost »

Now that V10 is out in the open !
First it's great to seen that Stoeonce Catalyst Copy Replication is now supported in V10.
My questions :
Does V10 Realy use the replication mechanism of Storeonce ?
Is it faster then using traditional backup copy jobs ?

Can we now migrate/move a backup (copy) job from one storeonce repository to another keeping/also moving the existing backup chain ? Since documentation states that you still cannot manually move the backup chain files between Storeonce repository making use of the "Files" button i don't see how .
Is there another way to do this now or is it still a no go after all ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Catalyst Copy is not compatible with backup chains created with regular Backup Copy jobs, so you will have to create the new Catalyst Copy job (dedicated backup copy job type in v10) in order to leverage it. Thanks!
rdrost
Enthusiast

Post by rdrost »

A bit disapointing to hear that it is still not possible to manually move the backup chain files between Storeonce repository making use of the "Files" button. One still cannot point a existing regular backup copy job to a another storeonce repository after moving the backup chain to the new Storeonce repository. Earlyer conversation in the post seemed to indicate this was also possible now.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In my post above I didn't mean that Catalyst Copy would be supported under the Files node, I was referring to the general migration case - this is possible with the new job type provided the chain was created by a regular Veeam B&R backup job.

Answering your questions:
rdrost wrote: Feb 22, 2020 4:21 pm First it's great to seen that Stoeonce Catalyst Copy Replication is now supported in V10.
My questions :
Does V10 Realy use the replication mechanism of Storeonce ?
Is it faster then using traditional backup copy jobs ?
Yes, this type of job uses Catalyst Copy as the transport and it is way faster than the traditional backup copy job since no data rehydration is required.
rdrost wrote: Feb 22, 2020 4:21 pm Can we now migrate/move a backup (copy) job from one storeonce repository to another keeping/also moving the existing backup chain ?
You can copy the existing backup chain created by the regular backup job to another Catalyst repository keeping the existing chain (this type of job works in a 'mirroring' mode).
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP »

I'm looking forward to trying this out at some point. StoreOnce boxes can use all the help they can get.
rdrost
Enthusiast

Post by rdrost »

Thanks Foggy,
The new catalayst copy type replicates the entire content of the source repository to the target repository.
We have the following setup:
Several backup jobs go to it's own repository.
Backup copy jobs are created with GFS retention (keeps 14 daily, 5 weekly and 12 Monthy backups). One copy job goes to onsite repository and another goes to a offsite repository.
Wel this second copy job could be eliminated by creating a new type catalyst copy job for the onsite repository.
First challenge is that we have pretty large repository (with many copy jobs backup chains) and have to delete the offsite repository first to make free space. Then create the new catalyst copy type job of which initial backup first wil take very much time. After that the complete backup chains keeps 14 daily, 5 weekly and 12 Monthy backups should be available at the offsite repository am I right ?

I was hoping there would be the possibility to take a more step by step approach.

Of course i will test it first before applying.
For new jobs it can be applyd easily.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can create a Catalyst Copy job pointing to the regular backup jobs target repository as a source (not backup copy job target repository - these backups currently cannot be used as a source for Catalyst Copy jobs). If you need GFS backups offsite, then consider enabling GFS in the regular backup jobs, this is also a new capability of v10.

I wouldn't delete backups created by the second backup copy job in the offsite repo - in theory, those backups will allow Catalyst to transfer less at the initial job run since most of the data is already there and will be deduped. After the initial run, they can be deleted.
rdrost
Enthusiast

Post by rdrost »

Now we are talking !
I did not now the regular backup job supports GFS retention in V10. That's bin a longtime wish also.
So what we need to do is creating a regular backup job with GFS retention.
Then use that regular jobs target repository in a Catalyst Copy job which replicates it to the repository offsite. In theory this could be the same target offsite repository which is now used for the second veeam copy job.

And if you do not have Storeonce Catalyst Copy (or whatever) you only need one regular Veeam job with GFS end Veeam Copy job with GFS to a offsite repository.
Can a regular Veeam backup job with GFS as stated still be the source of a Veeam backup copy job ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, it can.