No Catalyst Copy support?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: No Catalyst Copy support?

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm

I don't know, my opinion on having catalyst 'integration' and no catalyst copy is leaving the job half done, what ever the reason. Sorry if that stings.

-Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Liked: 14 times

Veeam Logoby chjones » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:31 pm

I agree that the StoreOnce Catalyst integration isn't there yet, there is still more to be done.

We use HP Data Protector (DP) for over 50 Catalyst Object Copies every day. We have many remote sites that all backup to local Catalyst Stores via DP and then an object copy is automatically run by DP to replicate the data to StoreOnce's at our two main datacentres so we have multiple disk copies of data available. I was hoping I would be able to use this same setup for Veeam v9 in the following way:

1. Veeam backs up to local StoreOnce Catalyst Store
2. Use Powershell to initiate a DP object copy job to use Catalyst Replication to replicate the data to a StoreOnce at another site

The data Veeam writes to the Catalyst Store is not able to be imported into DP so we cannot perform any actions on it after the backup completes. Even if we used Veeam's Backup Copy jobs to create another copy of the data on Catalyst Store at the other datacentre we would still have the problem of integrating the data into DP.

DP is the product we use to write data to LTO6 Tape and you can't have two products controlling the same tape libraries so we need DP to control the tapes. All we need is Veeam's Catalyst data to be able to be imported into other products that utilise Catalyst Stores (DP and NetBackup) and we'd have a good place to start.
chjones
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:06 pm 1 person likes this post

Yeah, I tested Catalyst integration and v9 backup copy. Its not doable for an enterprise with thousands of vms, especially since it copies one single vm at a time. Fail. The best I can do is use file share level access for the StoreOnce units with per vm chains to keep file sizes in check and allow the hw to do the work un-hydrated as intended.

-Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:23 am

Nick, do you mind if we review your logs to determine where the bottleneck is? Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Sure, have a look.

Background info for the test environment:

Fresh install of Veeam v9 using native SQL Express (as provided in the veeam installer)

Backup server: Fresh Window 2012 R2, 12 core @ 2.5GHz and 24GB RAM

Proxy: Windows 2012 R2, 10 core @ 2.5GHz and 12GB RAM

Source Storage: 3par v400 @ 944 drives

Backup Targets: 2 @ HPE StoreOnce 6500s connected to LAN via multiple 10gE and FC 8gbps

Replication link between data centre(s): 2Gbps dedicated to StoreOnce Traffic.

Both StoreOnce Units added as Catalyst integrated devices and mounted locally to the proxy/gateway.

Let me know where you want the logs uploaded to.

-Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:01 pm

The best would be to open a case and share the ID here. Support guys will provide you with the location for logs upload. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:37 am

Yes, I just need a case ID with debug logs. I will hand it directly to QA team responsible for scalability testing.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm

I guess my questions are the following:

1) Under what premise am I opening the case on ? (The app doesn't support catalyst copy)

2) Backup copy is a single VM operation, am I missing something ?

3) When I call, what do I tell the support engineer? (Gostov told me to call? :) )

Thanks,

Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby nefes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 pm

1) Backup Copy job is working slow, when source and target are both Catalyst repositories.
2) Backup Copy job without WAN acceleration does use parallel processing in v9 (new feature).
3) You can tell them that R&D asked you to provide logs, and give them a link to this topic.
nefes
Veeam Software

Liked: 125 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Veeam Logoby SyNtAxx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:19 pm

nefes wrote:1) Backup Copy job is working slow, when source and target are both Catalyst repositories.
2) Backup Copy job without WAN acceleration does use parallel processing in v9 (new feature).
3) You can tell them that R&D asked you to provide logs, and give them a link to this topic.

This is from page 271 of the veeeam 9 user manual:

Note:
"Backup copy jobs do not support parallel processing. Multiple VMs in the job are copied one by one, subsequently. Data for VM disks are also copied subsequently, not in parallel."

I'm going to test again and see if parallel processing works as you indicate.

-Nick
SyNtAxx
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 pm

We'll update the manual, online help is already updated, as far as I can see.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby millardjk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:17 pm

nefes wrote:1) Backup Copy job is working slow, when source and target are both Catalyst repositories.

It's that #2 that's killing me. While my client is using a pair of 2900s instead of 6500s, the 6 VMs he's trying to copyjob are 13TB in size. Writing to the SMB share and letting StoreOnce do parallel copy with proprietary WAN acceleration is giving us better performance--especially when you factor in copy interval timeouts--than Catalyst-CopyJob-WAN Accelerator provided.

I would really like to let the client have the option to "trust Veeam or trust HP" rather than having to chose between Catalyst & SMB.
millardjk
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

[MERGED] StoreOnce Catalyst and Veeam Backup 9

Veeam Logoby pbu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:36 am

Hi,
I build a test setup with 2x StoreOnce VSA 1TB with Catalyst Stores
StoreOnce version 3.13.1-1546.2
Veeam B&R 9 can see these CatalystStores and write to them, in the StoreOnce you can see the data coming in on the StoreOnce Catalyst Write Activity in the StoreOnce GUI

When a Copyjob starts you see activity again on the Replication Data Job Outbound (on the primary StoreOnce VSA) and Replication Data Job Inbound (on the secondary StoreOnce VSA)
What I expected to see is when Veeam starts a Copy Job it should make use of the Catalyst Copy Job features and the transport activity should showup as StoreOce Catalyst Copy Job Outbound Throughput and StoreOce Catalyst Copy Job Inbound Throughput.

I think when the data is replicated via the Data Job channel it gets re-hydradrated, transported and then dedupped and compressed again on the secondary StoreOnce VSA.

The idea was to make use of the Catalyst Copy Job features with the orchestration of Veeam B&R 9, but that seems not to be the case now...
pbu
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Buijs

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am

Peter, your observations are totally correct. Catalyst Copy is not supported in this version of Veeam B&R.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pbu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm

So what is the big benefit we get with Catalyst Support of Veeam B&R 9??
We can use the Catalyst Store instead of CIFS or NFS shares for a primary Repository

But Catalyst Stores can not Replicate like CIFS or NFS Stores
pbu
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Buijs

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication