Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Non-domain server

Post by BuffaloBucks »

If I do a simple deployment with all roles and backup repository on one Windows server and I do not add the server to the domain, when pushing out agents and doing restores to our Hyper-V Cluster, what account is used for this? What would I need to do to make this work?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Non-domain server

Post by bdufour » 2 people like this post

There is a lot of info on the forums about this. honestly, i was skeptical of the off domain approach, but it's proven to be the right way to go. you will need to use/create local accounts that are all unique, meaning each account, for each server/device needs diff passwords, 20+ characters, you can also change these periodically. honestly, it wasnt very hard to set up and well worth the upfront work.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

I'll second what Blake said, taking servers off domain is quite easy and works quite well.

See Blake's post about off domain infrastructure - it's very informative with real world results:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/pen-test-an ... 63213.html
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

afoegen@winona.edu wrote: Nov 21, 2019 6:52 pm If I do a simple deployment with all roles and backup repository on one Windows server and I do not add the server to the domain, when pushing out agents and doing restores to our Hyper-V Cluster, what account is used for this? What would I need to do to make this work?
When you add your Hyper-V hosts/cluster as a "Managed Server" you specify credentials that Veeam will use to connect. These will be used for both backups and restores when communicating with the hosts.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Thanks for the information. I am planning to start on this next week as a non-domain setup. I do want to use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory and a requirement for a restore is the account must be a member of the Domain Admins group... https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Does that just mean that I need specify the account "domain\account" and it won't be an issue if any or all of the Veeam infrastructure is non-domain?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, just specifying a valid account is enough.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Got it. Thanks!