Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: NSS Volumes

Post by foggy »

tjohnsonlcsd wrote:Any suggestions on a safe way to zero the unused data?
Please find a suggestion here.

Another possible reason for that is if you've removed some VMs from a reversed incremental backup job previously. The only way to reduce the size of the VBK in this case is to recreate it from scratch without writing the blocks of the removed VMs (i.e. perform an active full backup).
jschick
Lurker
Liked: 3 times

Post by jschick » 3 people like this post

I would just like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this!

I downloaded the beta .ISO this morning, and successfully restored a single file off a backed up NSS volume this afternoon.

I only ran into one issue - the kernel on the .ISO requires a 64 bit CPU. On my first attempt I tried launching the FLR appliance on my oldest and least used VMWare host. I thought the process was hung until I looked at the console for the FLR appliance. The full error was:
This kernel requires an x86_64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
I powered off the FLR appliance and removed it from inventory, then stopped the job. I realized soon after that I probably should have stopped the job first.

After I got the first job cleaned up, and tried again on a host with real hardware, the restore worked like a charm.
eheiger
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ed Heiger

Post by eheiger » 3 people like this post

I couldn't agree more, Thank you!!!!!! We've been able to restore nss files and I'm really happy to not have to use the workaround. I'm sure you've made many of my fellow novell colleagues happy! We appreciate your commitment to the customer...it means a lot.

thanks again,
Ed
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And thank you guys for keep pushing and for your valuable feedback. I believe I'm not totally wrong saying that this particular functionality is completely justified by this single topic and its participants. We always say that we prioritize all feature requests according to the value for the product and the need for the feature from our customers base, and ready to add any new capabilities as long as there is sufficient amount of requests.
OrgDV
Novice
Liked: never

Post by OrgDV »

For a long time i was looking for a todo, to backup nss files via veeam. I did it as described on the first pages of this threat with a lot of workaround.
Now, after a long time, i just searched for any updates in case of nss and veeam and found this threat again.
I read it again, i tested it and i am sooooo happy. It works fine!!!

Thx to veeam and all the people in this threat for the result.

Good job 8)
patrickreid
Novice
Full Name: Patrick Reid

Post by patrickreid »

Is this a documented feature of the new code?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

patrickreid wrote:Is this a documented feature of the new code?
Patrick, as it is stated above, Novell NSS FLR is currently in the public beta stage and you can take part in its testing. Thanks.
waynewall
Lurker
Full Name: Wayne Wall

Post by waynewall »

Just wondering how everyone's initial testing is going? We are currently running Backup Exec and just came across this NSS beta. Have been testing it for about a week now and have found it to work great. Any word of Veeam releasing it? I want to purchase Veeam but would like that to be fully supported prior to purchasing.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No issues have been reported so far, the feedback from beta has been overwhelmingly positive. Our QC has found a few bugs in the past weeks though, and those are being fixed. We are currently hoping to release Novell NSS FLR as a part of upcoming 7.0, if all goes well. Although since this is the last minute squeezed feature that was not originally planned for 7.0, it may potentially suffer from last minute feature cut if some major issues are found close to the release. In that case, it will be postponed to 7.1 or something. So while chances are good, I cannot give you 100% guarantee it will make it into 7.0.
jasonsfa98
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Whitson

Post by jasonsfa98 » 1 person likes this post

I'll admit that I did not actually restore a file but it worked up to that point. When I get more time I will test more.

Very happy to see this. I was just about to implement an RYSNC setup to accomplish this but Veeam just kept my business.

Thanks,
J
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jason, thanks for the feedback. We are highly interested in the results of your testing, please find the time to share when it is completed.
ChrisJ
Novice
Full Name: Christian Johansson

Post by ChrisJ »

Tried the beta ISO and the NSS volume did indeed mount correctly. But now the reiserfs volumes doesn't mount anymore like they did before.
So when I need to restore NSS I will need to use the beta ISO and then switch back to the original ISO for everything else.

Anyone else having this issue?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Chris, have you already contacted support with this? (Please don't forget to include [nssbeta] in the issue description when opening a case.)
ChrisJ
Novice
Full Name: Christian Johansson

Post by ChrisJ »

foggy wrote:Chris, have you already contacted support with this? (Please don't forget to include [nssbeta] in the issue description when opening a case.)
Nope, not yet. We just started using veeam and I haven't had time to do more then a little testing.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

This situation is absolutely expected. ISO for NSS volumes does not support any file systems other than NSS. You need to go back to original appliance once you are done testing NSS restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct. Beta ISO is NSS only.
SDMatt
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Colwell

Post by SDMatt » 1 person likes this post

Works for me...

I was able to restore a group of files from a Netware 6.5 SP7 guest on VMWare ESXi 5.0

It's nice that Veeam is supporting folks with a few legacy VMs while other vendors are dropping support.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, con you confirm that this ISO is included in Veeam 7.0 ? My sales colligues are trying to sell Veeam to a customer running Novell 5.1 SP8

On the release notes for v7 I've found "NSS (Novell Storage Services). File-level recovery for NSS is now supported from VMware backups"

Many thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Marco. Yep, v7 file level restore supports the Novell NSS file system. Thanks.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Just run a quick demo for this customer but the FLR appliance fail to see NSS volumes with error: Cannot mount sda2: "Unknown filesystem"

When configuring the FLR appliance I've selected the check box "Restore from Novell Storage Services (NSS) file system"

:cry:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, I'd suggest opening a ticket with our support team and letting them investigate it directly. Thanks.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

v.Eremin wrote:Then, I'd suggest opening a ticket with our support team and letting them investigate it directly. Thanks.
Hi, I've opened the case 00452763

Marco
luke_miller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Luke Miller

Post by luke_miller »

I have been testing out Veeam NSS restores on a SLES server with one of our partners. The file level recovery works just fine but on checking the Novell permissions on the restore we are not getting them on the file. Can anyone confirm if this is expected behaviour and if so is there a workaround for us to be able to restore the files with the Novel permissions as well?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

According to the latest feedback NSS permissions might not be preserved, need to check that with our technical support team.
thosa
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Thomas Sandner

Post by thosa »

Vitaly, did you get any feedback with regards to preserving NSS permissions?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seems like these permissions cannot be preserved without using proprietary Novell tools. Please check out the post from Tom Sightler on the SE forums for more info.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Permissions cannot be preserved, as this requires directory services. However, we have purposely removed those from the NSS FLR helper appliance based on the testing results (they were not stable, and made the appliance boot time too long). Thanks!
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport » 1 person likes this post

And who cares about permissions? They are not like MS nightmare. Unless you do 100's of Gb restore with very granular permissions (which would be time consuming to re-create), it takes few seconds to have them back in place by hand.
Or you could create all sorts of scripts (ie using JRBUtils) that do it in a flash

Seb