Nutanix AHV

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Nutanix AHV

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm working with a customer right now who owns Veeam Availability Suite for VMware. They are looking at migrating to Nutanix + AHV later this year. We're discussing continuing to use Veeam, which he really loves, via the agents to protect the new Nutanix environment. Our upcoming agent management in v10 should make this easy, and we've even discussed how he can automate rolling out agents to only AHV VMs using a PowerShell script that runs on a regular basis. While it's not native AHV integration within VBR, it's still a pretty slick solution for protecting an AHV environment.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 102 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:17 am

Interesting. I wonder if going the Agent route is more cost effective than the regular Veeam licensing method, in this case. Of course, if you factor in the savings of not needing to license vSphere any more, that's a whole different math.
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

[MERGED] Veeam and Nutanix AHV

Veeam Logoby FabioM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,

Just had a customer call asking for a solution to backup (and replicate) some VM's on a Nutanix + AHV infrastructure.
Can someone help me to address this ?
Should I use Veeam Agent for Windows Server and install it on each VM? Using this licencing can I use a Veeam B&R on-prem or on Azure(?) or should I also licence the server (how)?
Is there any way i can replicate to VM to my on-prem infrastructure or Azure?

User wants to backup once a day and (if possible) replicate data more than once a day.
Any advice how to implementa backup solution to do this?

Thanks
FabioM
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Fábio Mendonça

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Should I use Veeam Agent for Windows Server and install it on each VM?

Correct. If you're after central agent management, either take a look at Veeam Availability Console or wait for the next release of Veeam Backup and Replication.

Using this licencing can I use a Veeam B&R on-prem or on Azure(?)

Correct, you can point all agents to a backup repository.

or should I also licence the server (how)?

Veeam Agent for Windows has its own licensing model. Basically, there are two scenarios:

1) Separate license distribution (install licenses one by one). In this case you will need to buy as many VAW licenses as there are VMs that need to be backed up
2) Central license distribution (one license is installed either on backup or VAC server; and each connected agent receives a license). In that case you will need to purchase one license containing certain number of workstations and servers (VAW editions)

Ask your sales representative for more information regarding that.

Is there any way i can replicate to VM to my on-prem infrastructure or Azure?

No. However, you can instantly restore physical server or workstation to a Hyper-V host (if you have any). Also, server or workstation can be restored to Azure thanks be for Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure functionality.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1037 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby FabioM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks v.Eremin
So summarizing ..
I can licence X number of VM's with VAW and install it on the VM's on the Nutanix platform.
With those licences I can install Veeam Availaility Console on a on-prem server or Azure Server (am I allowed to install or should i have a specific licence for it since there ir no VBR on-prem?) and use local disc for repository (either on-prem server/SMB or Azure VM with FS role).
To recover the VM I can use Direct Restore to Azure from the Veeam Availability Console.

I'm still a bit lost on the target repository. what should I install on-prem or Azure.
Thanks
FabioM
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm

FabioM wrote:With those licences I can install Veeam Availability Console on a on-prem server or Azure Server (am I allowed to install or should i have a specific licence for it since there is no VBR on-prem?) and use local disc for repository (either on-prem server/SMB or Azure VM with FS role).

To manage Veeam backup agents you don't need to have an on-prem backup server. BTW, you can always point VAW backup jobs to the FREE backup server when managing everything through VAC.

FabioM wrote:To recover the VM I can use Direct Restore to Azure from the Veeam Availability Console.

Direct Restore to Azure is available from the Veeam backup console, which can be managed by VAC. Feel free to VCSP forums to know more about VAC capabilities.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1157 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby FabioM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I think I've got it.
VAW on the servers on Nutaix infrastructure.
Veeam Backup Server (Free) on-prem or azure VM with Repo (local drives or share).
VAC to manage it all.

Last question. VAC is only for SP's or the customer has access to that with the VAW licences?
FabioM
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 am

There are two editions of VAC, one for service providers and another one for Enterprise customers (need to meet the certain criteria to be eligible to use the product). Our sales team can clarify these requirements.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bdg0296 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 pm

I'd just like to put my vote in for Veeam to support / work with AHV. We have two Nutanix Clusters and need Veeam to work with AHV.
bdg0296
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Veeam Logoby Yannis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am 2 people like this post

Hi,
Very good news :P

"Veeam will support Nutanix, for the first time, by the end of the year, and Nutanix will promote Veeam as their premier availability vendor."
http://www.channelbuzz.ca/2017/06/nutan ... hip-22014/
Yannis
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Yannis

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am

The keep pushing strategy does work!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby romx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 am 1 person likes this post

Yes, it's a great news for many Veeam customers
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... Enterprise

Congratulations, Veeam! We going together!
romx
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Veeam Logoby davow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am

I'm curious if the future Nutanix AVH support will mean there will be generic KVM support as well considering AVH is a version of KVM? At the very least is may make a KVM version easier with the experience you get from building the Nutanix support.

Good to see Veeam moving into this space.
davow
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D W

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 pm

No, actually it does not mean that. Nutanix provides excellent backup APIs that we're leveraging - we don't really need to deal with the actual hypervisor. This obviously makes "vanilla KVM" support a whole different story...
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2426 times

Veeam Logoby gingerdazza » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 am

Gostev, is it anticipated that you'll have proper storage integration with Nutanix AHV? And will this also work with Nutanix on VMware (same storage API I'd assume)
gingerdazza
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dazza

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication