Nutanix AHV

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Nutanix AHV

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Don't you lose a lot of capability that way?

We, too, are strongly looking at Nutanix/AHV, so lack of Veeam support is a big concern for us.
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm 1 person likes this post

With the server edition of the agents you don't lose much functionality (especially with Windows VMs and the Veeam Agent for Windows).

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Got a link for Veeam Agent for WIndows documentation? Not seeing any in the Technical Documents page (which may be because the product is still in Beta test).
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 pm

Once you've received an invite to the Agent for Windows beta, it should include a link to the documentation.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Nutanix storage based snapshots

Veeam Logoby johangroovey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 pm

When will Veeam support storage based snapshots on Nutanix and Acropolis as a hypervisor?
johangroovey
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Johan Grove

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi, Johan - we have not made any specific plans around Nutanix support yet.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2305 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby tsun8824 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Just wanted to share this quote from an article on TechTarget (SearchConvergedInfrastructre):
"I have a deep desire to use AHV, but I don't have a legitimate way to back it up, and I won't touch AHV until I can back it up," Matt Day, IT director of Australia-based Langs Building Supplies said.

Source Article:
Nutanix AHV tire kickers say they avoid 'VMware tax'
http://searchconvergedinfrastructure.te ... VMware-tax
tsun8824
Novice

Veeam Logoby Matt@Work » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 pm 4 people like this post

I'd forgotten about this thread !!

We eventually binned off Nutanix as we feel we get better value from Veeam than we would switching from VMware to AHV. We're in the process of switching to Hyper-V on Hypergrid and we can carry on using Veeam. We certainly think we've made the right call and reduced our OPEX costs.
Matt@Work
Enthusiast

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Matt Collier

Veeam Logoby ddrrdd » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

For a new infrastructure, now I will never chose Nutanix because it lack many functionality.
Have a look at https://www.simplivity.com/ ...
They was so advanced HPE buy them :)

Nutanix was an old solution before VMware vVol or Hyper-V + SMB3.
Those 2 solution can be sell in integrated product buy many server or storage vendor (Hitachi server for example) and will have no IO bottleneck that Nutanix and Simplivity must have because of the internal architecture.

If the licence cost is a big problem maybe your can buy commodity servers with free open source hypervisor like openstack.
And you do not have to pay for Veeam licence :)
ddrrdd
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:16 pm 1 person likes this post

@ddrrdd let me just say that I completely disagree with every single statement you've made, however it is a long conversation for a forum post and it can make a lot of people upset so I'll just leave it at that ;) but if you come to VeeamON, VMworld or Ignite - find me and we can discuss more in person!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2305 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby Matt@Work » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:20 pm 1 person likes this post

ddrrdd wrote:For a new infrastructure, now I will never chose Nutanix because it lack many functionality.
Have a look at https://www.simplivity.com/ ...
They was so advanced HPE buy them :)

This does make me smile :) I would imagine they bought it because their own offering was received so poorly.

We eval'd Simplivity as well, liked it, but a lack of Server 2016 support in a timeframe we needed ruled it out. Honestly, now its bought by HP, its a no go as well based on HP's past form.
Matt@Work
Enthusiast

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Matt Collier

Veeam Logoby romx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm

to ddrrdd: I would agree here with gostev. It's just a weird bunch of wrong statements about HCI and Nutanix. Nothing to criticise here, everything is not true in ddrrdd reply.
romx
Novice

Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Veeam Logoby wrighti » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Count another long time customer that runs 32 Nutanix nodes that would love veeam support for AHV. We're currently running it at ROBO sites, and looking to run our dev servers in our datacenter on AHV... Veeam support would be much appreciated and save us money on paying for ESX licenses.
wrighti
Lurker

Full Name: Ian Wright

Veeam Logoby romx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Veeam has a risk to lost most of loyal users due they are migrated to AHV. Another virtual backup vendor (from tier-2 lists) now worked on AHV backup software and will announce it in 2017 soon.
romx
Novice

Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Veeam Logoby TeamNorthwoods » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 pm

+1 for AHV support. We are moving away from an 8 host ESXi environment to a 3 host AHV environment. I can't justify keeping around ESXi or moving to Hyper-V. It's not only added cost, as many others have argued, it's also added complexity. While I really enjoy using Veeam, I can't continue to use it if it requires me to add another layer to support in ESXi/Hyper-V. As a small IT team, we are trying to eliminate complexity, and keeping one of those hypervisors is moving in the wrong direction.

Let's face it - hypervisors are nearly commoditized these days, especially in the SMB segment of the market. It's time for Veeam to accept that, even if it means developing for what now is a small market. In a few years, I suspect that Nutanix will control a much larger portion of the market. In the meantime though, I'll be forced to move to something else like CommVault if Veeam has no plans for AHV support, and that's a shame.
TeamNorthwoods
Lurker

Full Name: Dirk Nelson

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication