Plexi87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian A.

Off-Site Gateway Server to NAS Question

Post by Plexi87 »

Dear Veeam Community,

I have a question of understanding:

We have a daily backup at our main site. In addition, we have set up a VM at our offsite location on which we have installed the Veeam Transport Service (Data Mover) to use it as our gateway server.
The backup at the main site should be copied to a NAS via Backup Copy Job at our remote site (SMB Share).

Now my question:
We always assumed that the Veeam server at the main site does not need to connect to the NAS at the off-site location, since Veeam is supposed to communicate with the NAS via the Gateway Server. However, this does not seem to be the case.
However, during the integration of the repository, a connection to the NAS share is required. Below you can choose which gateway server should be used for the data transfer.
Is this really the case or do I understand something completely wrong?

Thanks in advance for the clarification. :D
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Off-Site Gateway Server to NAS Question

Post by Mildur »

Hello Sebastian

The backup server should not be connecting to the SMB share itself. But you need to choose the dedicated gateway server. If you are choosing Automatic selection for the gateway server, every managed windows server will try to connect to the SMB share. This includes the backup server.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Plexi87
Novice

Post by Plexi87 »

Hello Fabian

Thank you very much for your answer.
I not sure if I understood you correctly....

Let me explain it shortly like this:

Step 1: Add the Windows Machine (later Gateway Server) under "Backup Infrastructure" in Veeam.

Step 2: Mount the remote target as a repository. To do this, specify the UNC path from the off-host NAS in the wizard under "Shared Folder" and store the access data. In the same step I can specify a gateway server. I select the new gateway server (step 1) from the drop down list.

If I click on continue at this point I get an error message that it can't discover the UNC path of the remote NAS.
So the question came up whether or not my Veeam server needs to be able to "reach" the off-host NAS as well.

At this point, I cannot proceed with setting up my off-host repository.

Best Regards,
Sebastian
Plexi87
Novice

Post by Plexi87 »

Hello Together

I was able to solve the problem and would like to report the following conclusions:
- My error came from the credentials and from a missing firewall rule (hardware firewall) to the remote side. :roll:
- As Fabian already mentioned, the Veeam server does not need a direct connection to the NAS. The connection to the remote side gateway server is sufficent. :idea:

Please mark as "Solved". :D

Best regards
Sebastian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sebastian

Thank you for providing the feedback.
I'm glad you could solve the issue.