Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 74 times

offsite backup / remote backup and offsite copy

Post by pirx »

Hi,

we want to backup some remote locations. We are currently not sure if the wan bandwidth will be sufficient to backup directly into HQ. Additionally a local backup might be a good idea for fast disaster recoveries. The number of VM's and the amount of data can vary from 1-2 VM's and 0,5-2 TB to 10-20 VM's with > 10 TB.

First of all, what would be the basic setup for this?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/ ... te_bu.html

- I think I'll need a proxy at the remote site in all cases, if I directly backup to HQ over wan I have to choose the proxy at the remote site manually (Edit Backup Job -> Storage -> Backup Proxy)?
- where can I choose the remote backup proxy for a backup copy job? Or is this not necessary at all?
- when do I need a WAN accelerator, should I use it for all wan connections regardless of their bandwidth ?
- can I use wan acceleration for backup jobs or backup copy jobs only?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scalable storage/NAS device that has a reasonable price and can be monitored? Not something for home use.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: offsite backup / remote backup and offsite copy

Post by DGrinev »

Hi pirx,

Please review basic architecture for Offsite backup
- I think I'll need a proxy at the remote site in all cases, if I directly backup to HQ over wan I have to choose the proxy at the remote site manually (Edit Backup Job -> Storage -> Backup Proxy)?
- where can I choose the remote backup proxy for a backup copy job? Or is this not necessary at all?
Not necessary, since backup proxies are not involved in backup copy process. Also check Backup copy Architecture for additional info.
- when do I need a WAN accelerator, should I use it for all wan connections regardless of their bandwidth?
When you transferring big amount of data over slow WAN (less then 100mb\s), it's recommended to use WAN accelerators.
- can I use wan acceleration for backup jobs or backup copy jobs only?
You can use it for backup copy jobs and replication jobs.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scalable storage/NAS device that has a reasonable price and can be monitored? Not something for home use.
You can find out useful information in this existing discussion: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Thanks!