Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
garak0410
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Offsite Help

Post by garak0410 »

Our main VEEAM backups go to storage on a Windows Storage Server 2012 NAS. All is well and it works great.

I've attached an external drive to this NAS so I can make a weekly offsite copy of the backups. I made the external drive a repository and it looks good.

So I tried making a Backup Copy Job but I am getting a little confused on what it does. All I need is a weekly backup copy to an external drive. So, I set the time basically all day on Saturday's. I set the job up but it keeps trying to run over and over and never stops. I finally had to delete it. It would always error out with Timed out waiting for the backup repository resource to become available for backup integrity check

So, I am looking for tips on how to get a weekly offsite copy to external drive. Perhaps I am just not approaching it correctly.

Thanks...
Brian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite Help

Post by foggy »

Brian, basically backup copy job runs on a continuous schedule. It always sits and waits for new restore point to appear within the specified synchronization interval and then starts copying the latest VM state from the available backups. You can set "Copy Every" interval to 7 days and the weekly-worth restore point should be created on Saturday.

I recommend reviewing the corresponding user guide section for pretty good description of how backup copy jobs work.

Thanks.
garak0410
Novice

Post by garak0410 »

foggy wrote:Brian, basically backup copy job runs on a continuous schedule. It always sits and waits for new restore point to appear within the specified synchronization interval and then starts copying the latest VM state from the available backups. You can set "Copy Every" interval to 7 days and the weekly-worth restore point should be created on Saturday.

I recommend reviewing the corresponding user guide section for pretty good description of how backup copy jobs work.

Thanks.
I will review that link. That said, is Backup Copy still the recommended method of offsite copies? Should I perhaps just change my thinking some...like just leave the external drive hooked up and the backup copy running so it writes to the drive and then just swap out with another one once a week?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The regkeys introduced in the latest patch make rotated drives applicable targets for backup copy job. So, you can stick to backup copy/rotated drives scenario. Thanks.
garak0410
Novice

Post by garak0410 »

v.Eremin wrote:The regkeys introduced in the latest patch make rotated drives applicable targets for backup copy job. So, you can stick to backup copy/rotated drives scenario. Thanks.
Thanks...I am on 7.0.0.839. My Backup Copy keeps failing with Error: Timed out waiting for the backup repository resource to become available for backup integrity check
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review this thread. Most likely you're experiencing the same issue.
garak0410
Novice

Post by garak0410 »

foggy wrote:Please review this thread. Most likely you're experiencing the same issue.
Excellent...thank you. Set it to ALL TIME and it is working.