Offsite Incremental to Synthetic Full Utility

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Offsite Incremental to Synthetic Full Utility

Veeam Logoby thomashodek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Add me to that list, I'd really like to see that feature...
thomashodek
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Just to keep this conversation going, this is exactly what I need as well. I can't imagine this simple scenerio, using cheap NAS server offsite for DR isn't a priority feature. Rsync is complicated and basically does what Veeam should be able to do... imho!
arsprod
Enthusiast

Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Veeam Logoby vipthomps » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Agreed this would make lots of sense and would solve an issue i'm looking at now as well.
vipthomps
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eric Thompson

Veeam Logoby dasherrill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm

This is the # 1 feature request for us and everyone else I have talked with....
dasherrill
Novice

Veeam Logoby stewks » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Ping! Same issue here on new install. I was quite happy with first veeam backup done locally then incremental by WAN until it hit the first synthetic date and it is taking as long or longer then doing a full backup! This makes Veeam almost a non starter for what we were hoping for, backup to a remote DR site... I'm familiar with linux, but not much detail on using it as WAN host, currently using QNAP NAS at the DR site, which runs on linux but remote agent is apparently not getting installed to do the synthetic fulls remotely.
stewks
Lurker

Full Name: Scott Tewksbury

Veeam Logoby virtualwatts » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 pm

gglynn wrote:
Gostev wrote:Hi Rick, so why you cannot use what tsightler had shared above for now?

I can't speak for Rick, but the reason I can't use tsightler's suggestion is that I need the backup to exist both locally (because it's the only backup software we use, and we might want to use U-AIR to recover something from a backup quickly) and at the DR site, and I don't have time to run the backup twice every time.

Actually you did a fantastic job speaking for me. That is exactly the problem.

Veeam replication is syncronous and we don't have the wan for it, backup needs to exists in two separate places and we don't have time to run two separate backups. And running a backup from one site for another would take too long with slow network wan.
virtualwatts
Enthusiast

Full Name: Rick Watts

Veeam Logoby stevil » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 am

We have the same problem as above. We're trying to backup across the wan incrementally, which works OK. It takes about 1hr 30mins to do the backup each night. When it comes to doing a new full, or synthetic full, we're talking 44hrs+. We're not sure how long it actually takes as it's soooo long that the backup stopped (maybe due to a network glitch).
In it's current state it renders WAN backups useless :( OR am I missing a trick somewhere?

I know we can use rsync to 'fix' this, but this relies on us having enough storage to do the backups locally so that we can rsync them across the WAN, which we don't have in all our cases.

I second the suggestion for an offsite 'rollup' utility or similar. Without it, or something similar, we'll have to rethink our deployment of VB&R across our small sites (of which we have hundreds!)
stevil
Enthusiast

Full Name: Steve Buckley

Veeam Logoby stevil » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm

reading another thread backup using WAN storrage and synthetic full question it seems as though the answer is to use Linux as a target at the remote end. The agent does all the hard work converting the synthetic backups. I've yet to try this, but it seems to be the answer, assuming you have linux skills. the thread also mentions that this will be available on Windows at some point (!)
stevil
Enthusiast

Full Name: Steve Buckley

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 pm

In v6.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby tfleener » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Until version 6, does it make sense to use Pull instead of push and take the bandwidth hit on the first full backup ? After that only change blocks are pulled and then the transform works locally.

Would that be a best practice... if you have the bandwidth ? We have 100MB pipe.
We need a windows CIFS backup as we only have BackupExec window agents to get it to tape.
tfleener
Influencer

Full Name: Tom Fleener

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes, pull would be more efficient in the long run with v5.

Alternatively, you could also backup to Linux as suggested above, and share out the folder with your backups from Linux server via samba. Then any Windows server can read it.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ccrichard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 am

Why not just use 2 seperate Veeam backup jobs? One to copy/backup it locally and another to copy it to the remote site? The remote site backup can be a synthetic full so all it will ever send is the changed blocks.
ccrichard
Enthusiast

Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 am

That's exactly what was being discussed on the previous page of this topic ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tfleener » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Main reason for not using two jobs is disk space requirements, we are still a little tight at both ends. Somehow, you never have enough.
tfleener
Influencer

Full Name: Tom Fleener

Veeam Logoby bc07 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Gostev wrote:Yes, pull would be more efficient in the long run with v5.

But with that all the data (transfered over WAN) is uncompressed, right? But it should do dedpulication, right?

Enrico
bc07
Enthusiast

Full Name: Enrico

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication