Offsite Incremental to Synthetic Full Utility

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: convert 1 full and 30 incrementals to 31 full?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, Anton. There a very slim chance that you can do this through internal data mover command line, unless the process includes some external logic from .NET parts of code. I will be able to give you exact answer next week, when I am in the office and can talk to the devs. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Re: [MERGED] convert 1 full and 30 incrementals to 31 full?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:11 pm

AntonZ wrote:I have a set of files from regular backup job (1 vbk and 30 vib incrementals only). I can import them to Veeam and recover VMs from ANY time point (by the way, US support told me that it is impossible without vbm file as incrementals will be unreadable - not true!).

Correct, VBM file is not required to import the backup chain but considerably speeds up this process.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite Incremental to Synthetic Full Utility

Veeam Logoby AntonZ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks, guys!
At this point I have several sets of such files (vbk+n*vib) and several not working GFS jobs (from which I can't recover anything from incremental points).
I'm running out of space next week (I have 62TB volume with Win2012r2 dedupe, which currently gives me 140TB of backups) and need to do smth very quickly. The idea was to upload everything to amazon, but to do this I need vbk fulls (easier to recover, no need to download the whole chain).
If I need to pay for additional service to help me convert incrementals to fulls (if there is no internal utility or way to do it with available tools), I'm ready to pay.
AntonZ
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Anton

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 am

AntonZ wrote:If I need to pay for additional service to help me convert incrementals to fulls (if there is no internal utility or way to do it with available tools), I'm ready to pay.

We don't do custom development, so that's off the table unfortunately.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby AntonZ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:56 am

Got it. While I'm waiting for an answer from devs, one more question:
is there any difference in backups created by regular job and by backup copy job?
Would it be possible to create a new GFS job, run it once, then delete created backups in repository and move my one full and 30 incrementals to that folder and then trick Veeam somehow (edit vbm file or sql tables; change time on the server to go back), so it'll take my old backups and will start to transform them according to GFS job policy (let's say with 30 recover points)? Sounds like super dirty trick, but who knows...
AntonZ
Influencer

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am

not sure the "super trick" could work, but in terms of file format, both backup and backup copy job create a vbk file with the same format.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 am

Anton,
What problem are you going to solve with the trick?
You can just start a new job with GFS retention and keep the chain you described with it`s own proper retention. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby AntonZ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:25 pm

The problem I have is that I have a set of files left from one of my GFS job. Vbm file shows 0 bytes and there is no such job in Veeam. So I just have some fulls and many incrementals. I need to convert those incrementals into fulls.
AntonZ
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I`m just curious how converting increments into fulls would help you to save the space?
As I wrote above you can just split your historical backups between 2 repositories if you have a lack of space.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AntonZ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm going to offload data to amazon (I need roughly more than 100TB). Currently I have 13 fulls and 90 incrementals in that folder. I need to have all fulls, so I'll not have a headache in future when I need to recover something from amazon. Obviously, I can't move the whole chain with incrementals to the cloud as when I need to recover smth in the middle, I'll have to get the whole chain.
AntonZ
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:54 pm

I see your point. Let`s wait for A.Gostev`s answer and see if developers can help with that.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Re: convert 1 full and 30 incrementals to 31 full?

Veeam Logoby AntonZ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Gostev wrote:Hi, Anton. There a very slim chance that you can do this through internal data mover command line, unless the process includes some external logic from .NET parts of code. I will be able to give you exact answer next week, when I am in the office and can talk to the devs. Thanks!

Hi Gostev!
anything on this?
AntonZ
Influencer

[MERGED] Feature request: Transform previous backup chains l

Veeam Logoby cmaier » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 am

Hi,

We use incremental backups for all our jobs and transform the previous chains into rollback on weekend. But this is done job by job so when there are several jobs transforming their chains the others have to wait for start until the first have finished the transformation.

It lasts half a day until some jobs start with their backups in our environment. So it would be nice to finish the incrementals for all jobs first and transform the chains after that.

Thanks
Best regards
Christian
cmaier
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Maier

Re: Feature request: Transform previous backup chains later

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:53 am

Christian, are you chaining you jobs so that the job started after the previous one has finished?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Feature Request - ad-hoc Transform job

Veeam Logoby ChrisL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 am

Hi all, don't know if this is even practical, but I occasionally find the need to re-run a job with a transform on a day that's not set to actually run a transform. Perhaps the previous transform failed, for example, but I don't want to wait until the next scheduled transform in a few days time to retry it since by this time the forward-chain is getting a bit long and the transform will take that much longer.

Wonder if it's possible, on the backup job right-click menu in B&R, where there's the option to 'Start' and 'Active Full' to add an option to 'Run with transform' or maybe just 'Transform now'.

Without this, if I want to run a transform job ad-hoc, we need to dig through the job settings to tick the current day in the Transform options, run the job and then remember to return to un-tick that day so that it doesn't go ahead and do it again the following week. All entirely doable, but just a bit messy.

Might be a silly idea, and obviously not expecting you to develop an option that I'm the only person in the world would use (!) but perhaps there's others out there in a similar position..
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Chris Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication