Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gregfroggatt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg Froggatt

Offsite restore

Post by gregfroggatt »

Hi
I have offsite backups going to an offsite location. What I would like do is be able to test restore these backups offsite. I want to know they are working and also be able to test them with bringing them into the office. I want to do all testing offsite. I have installed Veeam backup and recovery offsite and when I double click on a backup to open in Veeam and ask for my tenant information. I don't have that info or the section to create a tenant.

What am I doing wrong, I just want to be able to open the offsite backup file offsite and test the restore features.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Re: Offsite restore

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you see something like this? If so then what type of license do you use on both onsite and offsite VBR?

Thanks
gregfroggatt
Novice

Post by gregfroggatt »

I am pretty sure that is what I want, I have the "Enterprise Plus Edition" what do I need to be able to set up the tenant account. I am guessing it is a different licence
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Creating a tenant requires Service Provider license, however I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, so I'm going to ask you a few more questions:

1. How do you ship your backup offsite? Do you use backup copy job or you just send them via other means?
2. What do you expect from the test restore procedure? Do you want to just spin up VMs to see that they can actually start, or you'd like to perform some application level verification?

Thanks
gregfroggatt
Novice

Post by gregfroggatt »

Hi,

I am running a backup copy to QNAP NAS. That is doing a RRTP copy to another QNAP NAS offsite. It is from this copy I am just want to test spinning up a machine every now and again to make sure all is good.
gregfroggatt
Novice

Post by gregfroggatt »

I am guessing in short if the main site burns down I want to know that I can use the offsite backs to get the company up and running again.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That is doing a RRTP copy to another QNAP NAS offsite
Did you mean RTRR? So the whole chain looks like:

[Primary backup] ------backup copy-----> [NAS2 (offiste)] -------RTRR------> [NAS3 (offsite)]

If so then I'd suggest you to have another VBR server on on the 3rd site, and have QNAP NAS added as a repository so you could utilize SureBackup to ensure that the backups on the 3rd site are recoverable. The same applies if you want to check backups on the 2nd offsite location. However, it's still not really clear what exactly do you see when you double-click on the vbk. Are you a service provider?

Thanks
gregfroggatt
Novice

Post by gregfroggatt »

There is only 2 sites, the NAS in the main site is copied to a NAS that is offisite.

If I open Veeam offsite I get a window that states,

Cloud Connected server: IP Address (Connected) (this is the IP address of the main site)
Select the tenant, there backup server and credentials to connect to backup server.

If I double click the VBK I get

Type in the backup server name or IP address, backup service port number and user credentials to connect with.

and at the bottom of that window,
Failed to connect to Veeam Backup & Replication server: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refuse it 127.0.0.1:9392
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Greg,

Let me chime in here. Just to confirm I understand everything correctly:

1. You have Cloud Connect infrastructure deployed
1. You're trying to connect with the backup console to the remote backup server. The corresponding checkbox that allows remote management was enabled for that backup server.
2. After successfully selecting the tenant which is used when registering the remote backup server, you're trying to do the restore operation.

Is this correct? Thanks!