Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlwaysBestToAsk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Wilson

Offsite Server - Does it need Veeam

Post by AlwaysBestToAsk »

Hi all,

First time user of Veeam and very impressed so far however I've setup a local Hyper V server with local storage and obviously put the backup and replication program on there and I've setup a second Hyper V server with local storage which I've setup backup copy jobs to copy these backups to nightly which will (once they're done) get moved to an offsite location but in the event that the main Veeam server goes pop do I then at that point install Veeam to the offsite copy (as I'll need to add the licences) or do I just put the trial/community edition on there ?
I'm obviously thinking of how I'm going to restore and mount the backups it's copied across to the offsite server if i don't have the onsite program to do it from ?
Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Offsite Server - Does it need Veeam

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I don't quit understand your environment. Can you please explain again where you have installed a VBR server and what's your backup repositories are? Are they local disks on your production hypervisor? Is Veeam installed inside a VM or directly on the HyperV Host? Do you use immutable or air-gapped backup storage?

In case of an emergency, you can use Veeam community edition without a license to restore all your VMs. Make sure that you have your configuration backup at a safe location. This allows you to restore the configuration to the standby Veeam server.
If you don't have a configuration backup, you can just import the repositories to the new server and restore your old data. We have a blog article about this process:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/restoring-in ... veeam.html

Thanks,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlwaysBestToAsk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Wilson

Re: Offsite Server - Does it need Veeam

Post by AlwaysBestToAsk »

So we have 2 hyper visors, one onsite and one offsite both running windows server 2022 and both have local disks in the physical servers themselves. The backups are stored on these local disks.
If i can use the Veeam community edition to restore all VM's without a licence then that answers my question so the onsite server already has Veeam backup and replication (licenced) on there and so on the offsite one i can just install the community edition and then in the event that the onsite server is a total loss i can restore the backups from the offiste server onto itself using the community edition so we can get some skeleton staff working while we source new hardware.
Thanks