Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jberrios
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Berrios

Offsite Strategy - Medium Sized Business

Post by jberrios »

Hello everyone,

I am still learning of the different ways to utilize Veeam B&R. But I work for a company that has what I believe to be a lot of data for only 2 locations with 125 users. Collectively, our full backups are 5 TB of data. We are trying to go by the 3-2-1 rule, and I am looking for help/ideas on the offsite aspect. We currently use cross-site replication between 2 Nimbles over an MPLS. But in terms of backing up to the cloud, we only have 30 Mbps WAN at one location and 40 Mbps at the second location.

My thought would be to use Reverse Incremental backups and complete a Synthetic Full over the weekend. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Or is what I am thinking not possible?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Offsite Strategy - Medium Sized Business

Post by bdufour »

you cant do a synthetic full with reverse incremental - essentially the latest restore point is always a full backup. reverse, typically, will take longer during backups and not recommended with dedup appliances - so whats the reasoning behind using reverse?
jberrios
Novice

Post by jberrios »

Thank you for the quick response bdufour,

My understanding of reserve incremental is each backup is relatively small and due to my limited WAN bandwidth, I need to find an effective method of backing up to the cloud.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Why not to chose forward forever incremental mode? Increments will be of the same size, it will work faster, plus, you won't need to run synthetic full backup. Thanks!
jberrios
Novice

Post by jberrios »

V.eremin,

If I go with forward incrementals and I do not go with synthetic full, what would happen if I needed to restore? My idea of offsite backups is in the event that everything in my environment from the backup storage appliance to our Nimbles die, we would be able to pull down from the cloud. Would I need to utilize each incremental to recover?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

To restore from the latest restore point previous increments as well as base full will be needed, correct. Thanks!