Oib already exists in point 'id=...'

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Oib already exists in point 'id=...'

Veeam Logoby Ben Milligan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Also would like to know your case number, Todd, the last case I see open for you was in December. We can review the details certainly.

Thanks
Ben Milligan
Veeam Software

Liked: 38 times

Veeam Logoby CCB-IT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Just so I can be certain, deleting it from the disk will remove all backup points for that VM correct?
CCB-IT
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: CCB IT

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Correct.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Just to update, our support now has the hotfix for one of the OIB issues (there are a few) available. Open a support case to have your issue investigated, and if your issue is the same, you will receive the hotfix. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2433 times

Veeam Logoby dwoodward » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 am

Where is that patch?
dwoodward
Lurker

Full Name: Don Woodward

Veeam Logoby mbell98 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 am

I've run into this problem a few times myself. Do we need to open a case with tech support to get this hotfix?
mbell98
Novice

Full Name: Mark Bell

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 am

Yes, all hotfixes are available through our support team only.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1160 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby lobo519 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Question - This past weekend I got this error on 5 of my VMs. After trying the delete from backup work around I now get this error "3/4/2012 2:06:21 PM :: Error: The remote procedure call failed RPC function call failed. Function name: [DoRpc]. Target machine: [IP or repo]." The first disk seems to process fine but the second fails after processing it for quite some time. with the above error.

Is this related?

Note I was running a new full back in a new repo - normally reverse incremental
lobo519
Expert

Liked: 34 times

Veeam Logoby ZachW » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:43 pm

No, these are two un-related errors. For this issue please create a ticket with support.
ZachW
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Support case #5177017.

This is the response I just received from tech support:

Hi Ted,
With the error that you are getting:

OIB already exists

You can workaround this issue for now by expanding the backup set, right-clicking on the problematic vm(s) and deleting from disk (This is also why removal from dynamic org folder did the trick). The next job run will run a full for that particular guest. To avoid this on non SQL/Exchange servers, just disable log truncation as it is not necessary. For SQL/Exchange, we'll need to ensure VSS is functioning properly for log truncation, if that is how you are leverage Veeam VSS in your restoration planning/process.

Thanks,

(the support person's name)

No warning that the backups will be lost (or acknowledgement that they are already corrupt and lost). No mention of the patch that in theory is available (unless they actually investigated my logs and determined that the patch isn't relevant).
averylarry
Expert

Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Ted

Veeam Logoby Cokovic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 am

Is it really necessary to delete the backup from disk?

Just asking cause for us it worked to delete the job, recreate it and then map the existing backup. The next run everything was fine again.
Cokovic
Expert

Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 am

There are several OIB issues currently, it is quite possible that some of them do not require deleting backups from disk.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Cokovic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks for info. Then i think i'm a lucky one that i don't need to delete existing backups :D
Cokovic
Expert

Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Veeam Logoby Ben Milligan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

All - if you do incur this behavior, I do advise retrying with truncation disabled or set to truncate immediately for this specific error "Oib already exists in point 'id=...'" following failed log truncation. This is in of course accordance with your SQL/Exchange log truncation recovery policies for your environment in mind. There are instances where this can be recoverable, and deleting from disk is the final, worst case scenario option. Please engage our support directly for assistance with any OIB errors you may have experienced.

Thanks!
Ben Milligan
Veeam Software

Liked: 38 times

Veeam Logoby Tom Bale » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 am

Vitality, I have contacted support for the hotfix and even linked to this thread but got this reply:

Hi Tom,
Unfortunately, there is no hotfix for that OIB issue, but the current workaround is:

You can workaround this issue for now by expanding the backup set, right-clicking on the problematic vm(s) and deleting from disk (This is also why removal from dynamic org folder did the trick). The next job run will run a full for that particular guest. To avoid this on non SQL/Exchange servers, just disable log truncation as it is not necessary. For SQL/Exchange, we'll need to ensure VSS is functioning properly for log truncation, if that is how you are leverage Veeam VSS in your restoration planning/process.

Job Ref#5176842

As someone else says this could be very misguiding to some, suggesting to delete from disk but not mentioning that this will remove previous backups. I am having this problem with an Exchange server and after forcing a full backup I still recieve this error message so I will try to truncate logs at the start of the job but I do not want to disable it entirely. Could this be at all related to the fact that that Exchange backup can take anything up to 20 Hours for us?
Tom Bale
Novice

Full Name: Thomas Bale

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication