Old VM's showing in logs?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Surebackup job is including VM's no longer in the linked

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Greg,

Do you still have restore points for these VMs in the job? Did you delete these VM from VI and from backups?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1259 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Old VM's showing in logs?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Greg, please review the thread above, this behavior is currently expected.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1302 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Kynaeus2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks Alex and Vitaliy, I didn't realize this behavior was expected.

I'm still within the retention period for the deleted VM's so I assume that's why they're still being tested. As I noted they were removed from VMware inventory and deleted from the datastore, since I'm fine with losing this VM entirely by removing the restore points for it. Am I better to wait until the retention period passes and they're removed automatically or am I better off going into the backup target and removing the restore points starting from the oldest full to the next full (to prevent inconsistencies with incrementals)?
Kynaeus2
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Greg

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm

You'd better wait until retention applies. Restore points might contain other VMs as well.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Surebackup Verifying VMs not in Linked Job

Veeam Logoby MSweetman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 am

Hi All,
I'm seeing something unexpected in a SureBackup job.
Running VB&R 8.0.0.2084 (latest V8) and have been cleaning up Backup and SureBackup jobs to optimise storage and performance.
A Daily Backup (Forever Inc) job contained both Windows and Linux machines was operational.
A separate Daily Linux job has been created and a Surebackup job has been created for it.
The original Daily Backup (Forever Inc) job had the Linux VMs removed, the remaining Windows VMs were sorted into the required order and saved as the Windows Daily backup job.
Both backup jobs are running fine.

Both have a newly created SureBackup jobs linked to their respective backup jobs. The new SureBackup for Linux is working fine however, the new SureBackup for Windows is trying to test both the Windows VMs and the Linux VMs.

It would seem that the new Surebackup for Windows job is still testing all the VMs from the original backup job and not using the new Windows Daily linked job, ever though is does the correct linked job.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?
MSweetman
Service Provider

Full Name: Mark Sweetman

Re: Surebackup Verifying VMs not in Linked Job

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:56 am

Hi,

Any ideas on how to rectify this?
You should delete old VMs data from backup. Just set VM retention to 2 (some minor bugs may occur if the value set to 1) and wait. After two days all VMs that have been excluded from the job will be gone from the backup as well and your Surebackup job will check only windows machines.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 336 times

Re: Surebackup Verifying VMs not in Linked Job

Veeam Logoby MSweetman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
Will reduce the VM retention to 2 and await the outcome.
Interesting observation.....(Scheduled) SureBackup is designed to verify the most recent backup using either a App Group, a Linked job or both. In either case one would think if the VM is no longer in either the App Group or the Linked job, the VM would be excluded from testing.
May be worth an enhancement....
Again thanks.
MSweetman
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Yes, this is how it currently works, Surebackup verifies all VMs that present in restore point. Please review some considerations in the thread above.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Surebackup Question

Veeam Logoby MSweetman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 am

Hi All,
We successfully run a number of Surebackup jobs daily which gives great comfort to the management that the backups are good.
One SureBackup job uses our Exchange backup job which is our AD & Exchange servers - 2 AD + 2 EXCH 2016 + 2 EXCH 2010.

We decommissioned the 2 Exch 2010 servers and removed them from the Exchange backup job back in early Nov.
The backups for the 2 EXCH 2010 servers are still in the repository, along with the other AD & EXCH servers.

One thing that I'm curious about is one Surebackup job starts 2 servers which are no longer backed up.
Note - have removed and re-added the backup job to the SureBackup job.
Why would the SureBackup start the 6 servers and not just the current 4 in the actual backup job.

Thanks......Mark
MSweetman
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Mark, this behavior is expected, please review this thread for details.
foggy
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication