Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
christiank@pcs.org
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris

Once Again Backup Jobs are Failing

Post by christiank@pcs.org »

Case ID 00170498

You will notice that this is my second post in this forum. The first post is when I downloaded VEEAM B&R and installed it in our test lab. I never got a solution. I blowed the whole thing off and start from scratch. I downloaded another trial version os VEEAM B & R. I ran one job, this time it ran for 2 hrs and then failed.

This is my lab environment;

2 ESXi 4.1 hosts.
2 VMs on each host.
1 24 port switch 10/100
QNAP NAS Shared storage 10 T RAID 5 (4 LUNs of 1T)
All VMs disk are in the NAS
All VMs are connected to the NAS via iSCSi for additional volume access

Everything is working fine.

I installed VEEAM on one VM (host 1) and add backup repository (iSCSi target) discovered by the VM. I let the same VM to be Backup proxy.

I was backing up the Exchange server (VM in host 2) and the ran for about 2:20:00 hrs then failed. It sound very promising to have this solution in our environment but it not appear not work. I appears to be easy to set up and function (according to the webnars and youtube videos) but I never get anywhere with it.

Perhaps someone can proove me wrong and help me get a clean backup of the VMs and take a test drive with all the cool features of Exchange, instant VM restore.... e.t.c before I invest $$$$ into our production environment.

Thanks,
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Re: Once Again Backup Jobs are Failing

Post by jpeake »

I will ask the obvious: what errors do you get when it fails?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

As jpeake asked, what kind of error are you getting in the GUI? A job can fail for a multitude of reasons.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
christiank@pcs.org
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris

Post by christiank@pcs.org »

I have tried every tip to make this product work but NO lack.

jpeake; I have uploaded all the logs need to create a case. The logs should explain what is going right? I have created many jobs and deleted, rebuild the entire lab. Start from scratch. I have gone through two trial lincenses and it is only two host with 4 VMs environment. How will it perform in the production environment?

Sethbartlett; It is frustrating to attend a webnar nicely presented and what the youtube blogs how great is VEEAM B&R then to actual try it doesn't work.

This where am at; I changed the switch (hoping that the problem was packet transmission speed though the switch was and still function just fine in the our production network) I clearned up the destination (there was a bunch of files from incomplete backups) logoff all the SCSi targets. Removed the SCSi portal, changed the NAS IP address, establish a new SCSi target on the VEEAM server, I can connect and browse the storage without problem. Deleled all the jobs. I created a new job (the job is backing up another VM on host 2 which also can see the NAS) I am using the VEEAM server as the repository. The back failed AGAIN with error:

"Task failed Error: A connection attempt failed becasue the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed becasue conneted host has failed to respond"

I deleted the job, created another, though this job was to backup the VEEAM server it self. The job ran for about 3% and failed. This is the error:

Code: Select all

Processing 'TestlabVEEAM'
Could not perform threshold check for backup location "E:\VEEAM BACKUP" due to space info retrievement fail!
Failed to save backup meta to 'E:\VEEAM BACKUP\VEEM\VEEM.vbm' [VEEAM] Failed to create directory 'E:\VEEAM BACKUP\VEEM' The system cannot find the path specified. CreateDirectory(E:\VEEAM BACKUP) function call failed. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [E:\VEEAM BACKUP]. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [E:\VEEAM BACKUP\VEEM]. --tr:FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [E:\VEEAM BACKUP\VEEM]. --tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir] inParam: [<InputArguments><DirName value="E:\VEEAM

Error: Client error: The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to write data to the file [E:\VEEAM BACKUP\VEEM\VEEM2013-01-08T164309.vbk]. 
Note that E: is the NAS storage connected via SCSI.

Well, I hope this is my final try of the product unless there is different configuration or new requirements that don't mention NAS is campable and can function with VEEAM.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

christiank@pcs.org wrote:Sethbartlett; It is frustrating to attend a webnar nicely presented and what the youtube blogs how great is VEEAM B&R then to actual try it doesn't work.
As you can imagine, Veeam would not be #1 VM backup product with over 50'000 customers if it did not work straight out of box for most people. Of course, there are cases when environmental or hardware issues prevent this, those need to be troubleshoot.

Can you try using some other storage for a test, even local disk? May be some issue with the one you are trying to use right now.