Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nebulight
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Gross

One or Two Jobs for custom schedule?

Post by nebulight »

I'm new to Veeam, but I think I understand how things work, but I'm not sure how to schedule a job like this for a local and offsite backup. The setup is a single ESXi host with 5 VMs. We have a NAS onsite and a NAS offsite to a branch office with a VPN connection between the two. We wants 4 days worth of backups (M-Thur) and 4 weekly backups (that would run on Friday). I know I could just do 20 restore points, but we are trying to save storage. Is there a way to keep the 4 weekly fulls while only have the incremental be 4 days?

Also with the offsite, when performing the synthetic full, if the target is a NAS, I assume I just have to select Linux server. Is the NAS by itself capable of doing the synthetic operation or does it require a PC at the remote branch? Or does the Veeam server do the operation?

thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: One or Two Jobs for custom schedule?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matt,

If you want to have local and offsite backup copy, then best practice would be to utilize backup jobs for storing backups locally and configure backup copy jobs to sync VM backup files with the offsite location.
nebulight wrote:I know I could just do 20 restore points, but we are trying to save storage. Is there a way to keep the 4 weekly fulls while only have the incremental be 4 days?
In order to save space on the local storage, you can use reversed incremental backup mode. In this mode the latest restore point will always be full backup and restore points for other days will be incremental. This is the most efficient backup mode in terms of disk space usage. On the other hand, if you want to have weekly fulls, then you can use forward incremental mode with synthetic full scheduled for each Friday.
Also with the offsite, when performing the synthetic full, if the target is a NAS, I assume I just have to select Linux server. Is the NAS by itself capable of doing the synthetic operation or does it require a PC at the remote branch? Or does the Veeam server do the operation?
What kind of NAS are you planning to use? If your NAS make and model supports Perl and SSH, then it should be possible to add it as Linux box. If NAS box does not have this capability, then you can either mount it to the full-blown Linux server or a Windows box and then add it to the backup console.

Thanks!
nebulight
Novice

Post by nebulight »

Thanks. I was planning on doing the backup copy job.

As for the reverse incremental backup, I'll have to do some testing to see how that will work.

As for the NAS, the local NAS is a buffalo terastation. For the remote site, we have not purchased anything yet so I'm open to suggestions (keep in mind, this will only be used for backup storage so nothing crazy is needed). The issue is, the remote site does not have any equipment other than the networking equipment as the office is only used a few times a month if that to meet with clients. If possible, a NAS only solution would be preferred.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks. I was planning on doing the backup copy job.
If you want to preserve 4 daily backups, and 4 weekly ones, using backup copy job, then, set simple retention scheme to 4, enable GFS and set weekly backups to 4. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'm not familiar with this particular NAS model, so if you cannot add it as a Linux server, then you should install any Linux/Windows server, mount this box and then add it to the backup console.
nebulight
Novice

Post by nebulight »

Vitaliy S. wrote:I'm not familiar with this particular NAS model, so if you cannot add it as a Linux server, then you should install any Linux/Windows server, mount this box and then add it to the backup console.
Any suggestions for a new NAS that would work well for this function?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

A safer way would be to use Linux server or Windows still... as I have seen that some NAS boxes worked well, and some didn't in this configuration (you can search these forums for examples from our existing customers).
nebulight
Novice

Post by nebulight »

Vitaliy S. wrote:A safer way would be to use Linux server or Windows still... as I have seen that some NAS boxes worked well, and some didn't in this configuration (you can search these forums for examples from our existing customers).
What are the requirements for the proxy? Can it just be a simple XP workstation?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure. You can find the complete system requirements in the corresponding user guide section.