Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stullier

One time backup of VM's to USB drive

Post by stullier »

We are planning some one-time hardware maintenance at our remote sites, and we would like to have a backup of the VM's, in case something goes wrong.

Each site is basically a single ESXi 5.1 host with approximately 5 VM's and 1TB of used space. I am considering using the VEEAM backup free edition to backup the VM's to a 2TB USB drive.

I have zero experience with VEEAM, so I have a few questions:

1) Does this sound feasible or is there a better method?
2) Where would we install the VEEAM backup software? Should it be on a VM with the backup repository pointed to physical machine with the USB drive shared?
3) Are there any other suggestions that you can recommend?

Thanks in advance to everyone.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: One time backup of VM's to USB drive

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1) Does this sound feasible or is there a better method?
Yes, everything sounds good.
2) Where would we install the VEEAM backup software? Should it be on a VM with the backup repository pointed to physical machine with the USB drive shared?
No need in physical machine - you can install it in a VM, with usb device attached via pass-through. That would be a repo+backup server in one VM.
stullier

Post by stullier »

Thanks, PTide for the response. From reading other posts in the forums, my understanding was that the pass-through option was not optimal due to slow performance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

That's true, however should not be a PITA in a one-time operation scenario. If you have an available physical machine, you can use it as a repository, of course.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

In case you decide to use a physical machine then you can use the same one machine as VBR + repo with USB drive attached, that would be more convenient, I think.