Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rrabik
Novice
Liked: never

Operation Timed out

Post by rrabik »

Hi,
I have installed Veeam 4.1.2 and trying to replicate a server 2008 R2 enterprise. This is our DC.
I am getting an error saying "operation timed out". I tried multiple times and it's saying the same.
The statistics show
"Creating snapshot
CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-363", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True"
Operation timed out."

Latest Vmware tools are running on the server. There are no snapshots when creating replication job.

To test, I tried creating snapshot manually from vsphere client and it works. Any idea why I am getting the timed out error in Veeam?
How can I check log files?

regards

Rabi
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Operation Timed out

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rabi, this is the issue with VMware Tools quiescence. VMware Tools quiescence is not used by default when you create snapshot with vSphere Client, which is why you are not seeing the issue there. Try to disable it in the advanced job settings, and you will see that the issue will go away.

Although for DC you definitely want to enable Veeam VSS (doing this will also disable VMware Tools quiescence automatically). If you have multi-DC environment, then generally speaking backup or replica performed without leveraging VSS is worse than not having backup or replica at all :)
rrabik
Novice
Liked: never

Post by rrabik »

I forgot to mention that first time the replation worked with Vmware Tools quiescence enabled. The next day it didn't. Strange!
But now I have disabled it and it's working. thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

That's right, this issue VMware Tools quiescence is intermittent. It just does not work reliably all the time.