Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mashiro2004
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mashiro2004

Oracle Backup and restore

Post by mashiro2004 »

Hello to all,
i have the following problem. I need to set up a backup for Oracle 12 on Linux VM. Since there is already a backup on the database made by other backup software, enabling the application aware processing and I configured the job making only the copy of the archive logs. As a user I have used one that can elevate itself to root. The backup does not fail.
But if I try to restore Oracle application item, I don't see any vm, as shown in the image:

and instead if I try to browse all the objects the heuristic analysis comes out:

reading about the heuristic analysis from the documentation, heuristic analysis appear only for non-application aware backups. Why does it come out to me even though I have application aware enabled?
Thank you and good day
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Oracle Backup and restore

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hello please open a support ticket and share the number here for reference.
In the end I think the Application Aware processing do not detect your Oracle Installation and therefore do not list it in your first screenshot.
Our support can check this with your based on logs. If you want to start yourself, I would go to /etc/oratab and check if the folders for your Oracle installation are correctly set there.
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 »

Hi,
thanks for reply.
I also thought that AAP did not recognize the Oracle installation, because if instead of copy only I configured the backup like this:

and setting wrong credentials the job don't go on error but on success.

I already opened last week ticket on support: # 05067160 but I think the guy from the technical support did not understand my problem well, as the first time he told me to set the job on copy only and then he gave me other summary answers. In fact, tomorrow with the technical support we are trying to make a remote session, hoping that he understands my problem.

Best regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Please let us know how it went.
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 »

I think you are right, because the oratab file is all commented out, I talked to the dba who told me to try to run the backup with the owner user where all the oracle variables are set
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 »

Hi,
nothing, but i think the problem is another. This vm is with oracle and SAP, and i think oracle for sap can be backup up only via plugin, correct?

Best regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Yes, by design of SAP you need BR*Tools to run the backups as it will store additional things and not only the Oracle Database.

Anyway I would still bring Oracle in consistent state for the image level backup that you likely want because of disaster recovery.
Usually the issue with the SAP on Oracle installation is that you link the oracle home so that you can easily update the Oracle Software and change only the link to the new software version. With this you have to check as well correct settings are done in all kinds of Oracle config files. I saw this many times.

Did you corrected the oratab (without it it will not work). You can set the entries with a capital N at end to not autoamtically to disable the entries if you have concern that things start autoamtically.
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 »

many thanks, i ask to dba

Best Regards
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 »

Hi, the dba has modified the /etc/oratab file and now the backup seems to be ok.
Now as soon as the dba is free we proceed with a restore test.
I will put future updates on this post.
Thanks so much for the support
Best Regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Nice to hear. THanks for the update. Please let your DBA check the requirements as well on the SAP side that you do not miss a minimum requirement there.
mashiro2004
Novice

Post by mashiro2004 » 2 people like this post

Hi, tested Db and SAP after restore and all in full working order....
Thanks Thanks Thanks for support!!

Best Regards