Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vRhinow
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Felix Heitmann

Oracle Log Backup not working "Waiting for VMs with Oracle Backups to appear"

Post by vRhinow »

Hi there,

i am working on a Project on a customer site which has two Oracle Database Servers.
The requirement is to do a log Backup via the Log shipping capabilities in Veeam.

Shouldn't be the Problem:
- Created the Job
- Activated Guest Processing
- Specified Credentials
- Activated the Log Shipping Job

Pretty much the same what i would do with SQL Databases (Which is actually working at the customers site).

There is a Job running but no VMs with Oracle is appearing.

The Databases should meet the Requirements. Like Archivelog mode and the minimum Oracle Version.
The Customer noted, that they are doing RMAN Backups, is the Plugin from the Install CD essential?

Thank you for any advice on this :)

Best Regards
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle Log Backup not working "Waiting for VMs with Oracle Backups to appear"

Post by PetrM »

Hi Felix,

Did you notice some warnings related to guest processing during parent job run? I assume that Oracle instances were not detected by some reason.

Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN is totally different approach for backing up Oracle databases as it allows you to perform backups by RMAN and to store backups in Veeam repositories.
Please find more information about Plug-in installation here. You may refer to this page on our help center to find more information about licensing of Enterprise Plug-ins.

Also note that only one method should be used to take care about transaction logs: image-level log backup job or RMAN.

Thanks!
vRhinow
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Felix Heitmann

Re: Oracle Log Backup not working "Waiting for VMs with Oracle Backups to appear"

Post by vRhinow »

Hey,

no, i dont have any issues with the parent job. The Oracle VMs just don't appear in the Log Shipping Job.

The Customer now tries to install the RMAN Plugin - maybe its working that way.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Felix,

Yes, RMAN plug-in is an option, but you may also want to ask our support team to check logs for error messages related to Oracle instances detection, as VM backup is much easier and is preferred by most customers.

Thanks!
gyzszabo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Győző Szabó

Post by gyzszabo »

Hi Felix, Petr,

I have exactly the same issue. Parent job working fine, log shipping like in the picture in first post "waiting". Didi you find any solution? RMAN plug just also working fine but I would prefer to test VM image backup solution.
Version of the Veeam: 10

Best regards,
Gyozo
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

We can't check on it for you since OP did not post the support case ID. But in general, there are no known issues with this functionality in v10.
gyzszabo
Novice

Post by gyzszabo »

What I found, at the moment Veeam not recognize Oracle on redhat/centos 8. In the log I found "not supported" OS.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please refer to Oracle documentation to verify the list of supported OS. Our help center provides links to the corresponding checklists depending on particular database release.

By the way, CentOS should be used in non-production environments only as this OS is not officially supported by Oracle to run databases.
You may try to use Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN instead of image-level approach.

Thanks!
gyzszabo
Novice

Post by gyzszabo » 1 person likes this post

When I use CentOS7 Veeam can discover Oracle properly and the log shipping working fine, same setting with RHEL 8 and CentOS8 did not work.

not discovered:
[06.08.2020 17:42:59] <04> Info [AutoSnapshot] Collecting Oracle database information
[06.08.2020 17:42:59] <04> Info OracleOverallInfo is empty

discovered:
[06.08.2020 22:00:52] <27> Info [AutoSnapshot] Collecting Oracle database information
[06.08.2020 22:00:52] <27> Info [OracleDbTimestampSpec] Found Oracle log backup 0ac7a877-d33c-4c2c-8472-c8a41cf4b70e
[06.08.2020 22:00:52] <27> Info [OracleDbTimestampSpec] Spec generated for object 9ee817ac-e55e-4a81-b757-5e6baacc8617

We founded after the Veeam latest update in our test env it started to work but we still have same issue in our prod enviroment.

We raised support ticket and will see what is the issue. It could be network or firewall problem somehow ...

Anyway RMAN Veeam pluging works like a charm, no issue so far.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this information with us! Let's wait for results of investigation and please don't forget to paste the support case ID.

Thanks!
DaMatt
Lurker
Full Name: DaMatt

Post by DaMatt » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

i had the exact same problem, we did RMAN Backups and full Image Backup with Veeam, and now i wanted to let Veeam do all the work and get rid of RMAN. I opened a case and the technician found on the Oracle Server a Registry Key "DisableOracleProcessing" - 1, changed that to 0 and everything works like a charm.