Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Oracle Server restore points

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

I tried to find information about this on the web, but to no avail.

My colleague, who is the database expert, has now configured our Oracle server backup jobs in B&R to handle all the transaction logs. Before that he was using RMAN for this. In addition to the "Redo Logs Backup" jobs that have appeared, running 24/7, there are also some new "restore points" in the Backups -> Disk section in the console. When I expand a backup there I not only see the normal server restore points, but also some new ones that has "Oracle Server" in the "Platform" column. And when I right click one of them, the only option is "Remove". What are those things? Is it something that we have to remove manually?

Sincerely,
PJ
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Oracle Server restore points

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Per,

Unless I am missing something: under Backup node > Disk whenever you expand the backup with transaction log processing enabled you should see regular image-based backup (for guest files, entire machine recovery ect) and redo log backup which could be used for application item recovery. Hope that helps!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Yes, I realize that. I see that one of the jobs has, as I write this, created 484 restore points from those redo log backups in just about 24 hours. But we don't have to bother with that, I guess? Perhaps B&R is removing some of those restore points periodically, for example when archived logs are being deleted?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Yup, archived log backups are affected by the job retention (so they are not stored forever). Check this good article - Retention for Archived Log Backup.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Ah, VLB files. I see! Thanks! :-)