Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jnap
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Oracle Staging: sizing and enterprise/standard

Post by jnap »

Hello,

I have a few questions about the needed oracle staging vm, to restore oracle db.
- is there any sizing consideration? Is there a minimal number of cpu /mem ?
- about oracle enteprise/standard version... can we restore an oracle enterprise database through a standard oracle staging VM ?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Oracle Staging: sizing and enterprise/standard

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I have not heard of any recommendations on the staging server and I also never heard complains... so my assumption is, that whatever in real customer scenarios exist is "good enough".

As Oracle XE / Express is mentioned explicitly, I'm asking the other way around: did you see any issues with standard edition?

Best regards,
Hannes
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle Staging: sizing and enterprise/standard

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

There are no special requirements from our side from CPU/Memory perspective, the main idea is that the staging server is able to run temporarily a database copy. You may refer to Oracle installation guides for Windows and for Linux for minimal requirements. I don't think that it is possible to restore Enterprise database over the staging server running the standard edition. For example, Oracle itself states in the migration guide that such an operation is possible over import or export only. Any chance to use the target server as a staging one?

Thanks!