Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Bockwurst
Novice
Liked: never

Parallel operation of Symantec BE 2010 and Veeam B/R

Post by Bockwurst »

Hi,

I am planning the replacement of Symantec backup exec 2010 by Veeam Backup & Replication.
Is it possible both backup programs on a Server or to run here are known issues?

Please excuse my bad English.

Many thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Parallel operation of Symantec BE 2010 and Veeam B/R

Post by veremin »

There are certain issues with backing up/replicating Virtual machines that run special applications (SQL, DC, Exchange, etc.) and have Symantec application-specific agent installed inside. Moreover, if you’re going to use 7.0 tape functionality, you will have to uninstall Symantec drivers/software or, otherwise, it will fail the tape jobs.

Thanks.
Bockwurst
Novice

Post by Bockwurst »

Have I understood correctly?

I can Veeam B&R is installed on my backup server on the currently existing Symantec BE 2010 server service installed.
But must uninstall the Symantec BE agents in the VM's that I now want to secure by Veeam B & R. Once the fuse is completely
converted to Veeam B&R, I will uninstall the Symantec server software and embed the tape drive Veeam B&R.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, doing that you should be ok.
Bockwurst
Novice

Post by Bockwurst »

Thanks for the help
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, be sure to enable Application Aware Image Processing option for VMs that run special MS applications and that used to have Symantec agent preinstalled.

In general, AAIP allows Veaam Backup and Replication to create transactionally consistent backup of a VM running VSS-aware applications without powering them off. Not only does it ensure successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss, but also it notifies applications about them being backed up.

Thanks.