Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Parallel processing

Post by HannesK »

Hello thomasto,
welcome to the forums. Instead of just posting the registry key, I would like to ask you to open a support case and ask the support engineer to check whether you have the same issue like #03619317

The key from case #03619317 is only relevant for NBD mode

Best regards,
Hannes
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Just read Gostev's email about disabling parallel processing. I just want to point out the difference between people not using it and people not knowing that is an option; perhaps it is a problem with poor UI design. This is a danger of big data, the statistics can be misleading if the right questions are not asked.

As an example, I have been using Veeam B&R for five years now and only last week did I learn that there is an option in the Repository section to limit the number of concurrent tasks. If I had known this was possible and how to do it I would have done it years ago as it solves some major issues with writing to devices with limited space when there is an incremental and then a merge process, which leads to disaster when multiple jobs do this concurrently on a drive, and then run out of space, which then means I have had to move data off the USB backup drive to allow one job to complete and then move it back (time consuming!), or delete the backup / backup copy and lose historical data.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Well, if the option is useful and adds value, then people get to know about it sooner or later - even if it takes 5 years, like in your example.

Veeam engine was sequential originally, then we added parallel processing as an option and enabled it by default for new installations only (we like to introduce major changes gradually). Over the years, users with "legacy" installations were finding out about this option, and enabling it as well because it improved performance. So in the end, we ended up with virtually everyone using this option - which is why the actual check box was removed 2 releases ago, and parallel processing became the only engine mode.

However, your example made me really curious. Considering the number of concurrent tasks option is right next to where you specify the target folder for the repository, what exactly lead to you not knowing this option exist? I mean, this would almost require closing this part of the wizard with a sticky note every time you pass through this step or something, because of how "in the face" this option is. So, this makes it a very interesting UI/UX problem to study for me.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi Gostev,

We have VeeamBR installed with four clients. The Repositories were set up before I came onto the scene five years ago, and while I have changed Backup Job / Backup Copy Job settings many times for their Virtual Machines, even if a USB drive dies we change the new USB drive letter to the old drive letter and therefore the repository and all its settings pick up like normal, so I really haven't had to do much in that area before now.

The long-term answer is that we needed to tell the client to get bigger USB drives, their data is always increasing, but that is quite a bit of money as a lump sum to replace 14 USB drives, especially with Covid-19 and the economy contracting, and they're thinking about going to Office 365 and Amazon AWS so backup copies like they do now may become redundant by the end of the year.