Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Per VM files question

Post by backupquestions »

If I start a new repo locally and use per vm files... Then I make a backup copy job to a VCC provider, will the copy job be per vm files in the cloud, or will it be the traditional type? Do I get prompted with a choice?

I would really like to do any local repos per vm, but anything in cloud stay traditional type.

If the job will only mirror what is done locally then it seems like I would have no choice but to not use per vm files locally.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Per VM files question

Post by PTide »

Hi,

As per the user guide:
Veeam Backup & Replication transports copied data to the target backup repository and writes all copied data blocks to the full backup file.

- If you do not enable the Use per-VM backup files option for the target backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication creates one backup file on the target backup repository and stores to it data for all machines processed by the job.

- If you enable the Use per-VM backup files option, data of every machine in the job is stored to separate backup files on the target backup repository.
That is, it depends on the target repo options.

Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

What about specifically veeam cloud connect targets though? I dont have any choice when I go to properties of a vcc repo to make it per vm or not so it seems those must be traditional?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

If the cloud repository is managed by someone else, then you should contact them and ask to flip that "per-VM" switch in the repo settings. After that you have to create an active full backup.

Thanks