Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Persistent Agent Components Installation

Post by Stabz »

Hello,

I'm looking for the best practice to install the Persistent Agent Components automatically.

It's mentionned in the documentation
"The Installer Service can be installed in one of the following ways:
Manual installation by running the MSI file located at C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages. You can also manually preinstall the required components located in the same folder for future use. Or you can let the Installer Service install the components automatically during the first run of the backup job with enabled guest processing of this VM by persistent agents"

The install the components automatically, it's only for the "Guest processing service" right?

We have to install manually or with script/gpo the Installer service first ?

Thx.
Regards
Stabz
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Persistent Agent Components Installation

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you only need to pre-install VeeamInstallerSvc.msi - how you do that is up to you.

Best regards,
Hannes
Stabz
Veeam Legend

Post by Stabz »

Hello HannesK,

In this case I have to install VeeamInstallerSvc first.
Next step during the first backup the GuestAgentSvc will be deploy automaticaly, but I have to let the VIX/RPC ports opened... and closed the required ports after.

Why not install all package in the same time?

After the installation the account for guest processing is still used or not?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
but I have to let the VIX/RPC ports opened... and closed the required ports after.
I don't get this. Installing the VeeamInstallerSvc.msi is enough.

If that does not work for you, please post the case number.

You still need a valid account on the machine, yes. Otherwise everyone could just run arbitrary commands on your machines...

Thanks,
Hannes
Stabz
Veeam Legend

Post by Stabz »

Ok but which ports need to be open for the automatic installation ?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

The VeeamInstallerSvc.msi is pre-installed manually or with 3rd party deployment tools (whatever you use for your software deployments). Or you add it to your VM templates.

If you can open the ports for automatic installation, then you don't need the persistent guest agent.

The persistent guest agent exists because some customer struggle to open the ports for automatic deployment. But it looks like you are asking for automatic deployment. I'm not sure what the goal is.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 lists the port requirements for "Connections with Persistent Agent Components"
Stabz
Veeam Legend

Post by Stabz »

I just want to perform guest processing in a highly secure way.

In summary I just have to install the VeeamInstallerSvc, open the needed ports for Connections with Persistent Agent Components and everything should work. The Guest agent will be deploy on the servers. Right?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yep, correct :-)
oikjn
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew

Post by oikjn »

I'm having a similar issue. I've opened a ticket and unfortunately I'm not confident I'll get to the right person who should be able to answer this that way in any reasonable time frame.

I want to use GPO to deploy the veeaminstallersvc.msi program. I created and applied the GPO and the installer attempts on each applicable VM, but it fails. My best guess is that the MSI needs to be prepped for an unattended installation using the Microsoft SDK prep tool orca.exe.
(1) has anyone successfully deployed this MSI using GPO?
(2) If so, what modifications to the MSI, if any, were needed?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Andrew, in general, it should get installed without any additional MSI modifications. You should investigate the actual reason for the failure. You can enable installation logging if using unattended installation.
pen@sac-it.dk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Rostén Nørredal

Post by pen@sac-it.dk »

Hi there
I´m in the very same situation right now. I have to pre-install/Deploy the veeaminstallersvc.msi on many VMs and on several Veeam customers, with a different setup
GPO, handheld installation is NOT an option

I have tried to deploy the installer service, with adding a VM to the Managed Servers - and that works !!
But having 100+ different VMs and many customers I cannot add every single VM, that needs the Veeam Installer service msi pre-installed

Has anyone (VEEAM ??) found a good and working solution to (mass) deploy veeaminstallersvc.msi ?
I would really like Veeam to take this seriously as I should not be an option to deploy anything manually ... having a Large Veeam setup, with meny customers and VMs involved

Thanks