Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Re: Phasing Out our Socket-based Licensing

Post by m.novelli »

dloseke wrote: Dec 19, 2022 2:21 pm It sounds like you're not selling your customers on the total value of the software. It's not "only for backup". Are you using the other features such as SureBackup/SureReplica verification? Snapshot-based Replicas? CDP Replica's? Instant restore capabilities? Immutability? Of course there are more, but if you're not using all or most of the features, you're obviously just using a portion of what the software is capable of, but that's also going to realize less value.
SMB market doesn't care
A working backup is enough :D

Marco
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Re: Phasing Out our Socket-based Licensing

Post by hoFFy » 1 person likes this post

dloseke wrote: Dec 19, 2022 2:21 pm It sounds like you're not selling your customers on the total value of the software. It's not "only for backup". Are you using the other features such as SureBackup/SureReplica verification? Snapshot-based Replicas? CDP Replica's? Instant restore capabilities? Immutability? Of course there are more, but if you're not using all or most of the features, you're obviously just using a portion of what the software is capable of, but that's also going to realize less value.
Yes, we are not using most of the features. I'm a VCME since v7 and we did not use most of the features which came out since then. Our customers don't have more than 4 vSphere hosts in their clusters, most of them have one or two hosts, so the VBR Essentials Enterprise has always been enough for us.

I'm confused, isn't this exactly what VUL's and the VCSP program is for? They both have standard pricing models that are billed per workload, with the VCSP rental model getting you literally down to the VM.
But getting things to run was too complicated for our sales people and too expensive, too.
I'm a little confused here as well. The service provider console does a great job of reporting usage. And it's a single pane of glass to the customers.

Now, I'm not going to disagree that there are plenty of backup services out there that have pretty panes of glass for management and can manage all customers in one spot. If you found something that works better for you, more power to you. But I think a lot of the things you're looking for are absolutely in the Veeam products, but it's not always a turn-key solution, and if that's what you need, then perhaps Veeam isn't the best solution for you.
Thats right, and I played a lot of hours with the SPC. We had contact to a partner who runs the SPC on his own servers and offered us to act as an reseller and I also tested the SPC on Azure. But both were too expensive for us. Hmm not too expensive at all, but in the it was clear to us that we would make more profit if we don't have the costs for Azure, or if we had to pay indirect for the infrastructure of our partner. And then, nearly at the same time, came this other nice company from Germany around the corner, telling us "hey, we don't only have e-mail security software, we also bought a company which has a backup software that will be integrated in the same webinterface and you will only pay a few $$ per VM. At that time we were in the process of migrating our customers from their on premise MSFT Exchange Servers to Exchange Online and selling them the e-mail security features of that company and so came one to another. "You already have e-mail security from ACME? Acme has now a backup software and you will pay per VM, which is cheaper for you (and we make more profit...)". Since we then had e-mail security, backup for M365 and VM backup from the same company in the same webinterface, we were able to serve more customers with less technicians, being more efficient per technician.
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de