Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DixieFlatline
Lurker
Liked: never

Planning for a backup/restore across WAN

Post by DixieFlatline »

I'm fairly new to Veeam and I want to know if I'm using it correctly - I have a rather large VM that I need to move across our WAN. I'm afraid that vmotion'ing across the WAN will result in too much of a performance hit during business hours, most likely over several days. Vmware also recommends 250mbps for vmotion (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2059921) while I currently only have 100mbps between sites.

Here is my environment:
I have Site A, with a couple of ESXi hosts and NFS datastores. My Veeam B&R server v9.5 is located at Site A. I have a large VM here that I need to move to Site B.
At SIte B I have a couple of ESXi hosts and NFS datastores. I have appropriated an existing Windows server at Site B as a Veeam repository and also a proxy server.
I am backing up the entire VM to the repository at Site B, using Network Throttling to minimize the impact on my WAN. My plan is to keep it incrementally updated, and do a an after-hours cutover during which I turn off the VM at Site A and perform an instant recovery of the VM to Site B with very minimal downtime.

With this configuration, if I choose the Site B proxy server in the restore wizard will all of the restore traffic happen on that local LAN? i.e. will the proxy server see that it holds the backup files in its repository and that the target Host + Datastore are local to it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Planning for a backup/restore across WAN

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I have an alternative proposal:

- Once the backup is created, use it a seed for replication job
- Finish several replication cycles
- Execute planned failover. It will synchronize the latest VM state, power off production VM and switch workload to replica VM (failover)

Thanks.
DixieFlatline
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Planning for a backup/restore across WAN

Post by DixieFlatline »

Thank you Eremin! I followed your plan and it worked exactly as expected. I performed the failover during the weekend and the only intervention required was 2 minutes to change my DNS pointers after the failover.