Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vee@mMeUpScotty
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Dahm

Planning off-site copy

Post by Vee@mMeUpScotty »

Hello Veeam Community,

we,re planning an additional Off-site backup. We´d prefer the recommended veeam boxed way (no rsync or stuff).

Szenario:
* HyperV or vSphere 5 Standalone Machine with 2 with just to virtual Windows Servers (decission is not made yet)
* Local Backup to one NAS system
* Additional offsite backup or copy (or replica?) to off-site server (linux or windows 2k3 license left over)
* There´s no budget to buy extra windows server licences for just installing veeam software[/list]

My main questions are:
1. Where to install veeam backup on the backup site (no extra physical machine available). So in an addional VM (e.g. Windows 7)? In case of chossing hyper-v, is it possible to use hypervisor for veeam instead? There´s no other workload
overnight, only backup job....
2. If I understand that right, if I use offsite windows server to optimize data flow there should be transport service installed (in form of proxy). Can proxy receive data an put it to local storage?
3. If I´d choose offsite linux server I could use NFS share without proxy right?

Could you please help us to find the best way to do this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Planning off-site copy

Post by foggy »

Hello, Peter.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote: 1. Where to install veeam backup on the backup site (no extra physical machine available). So in an addional VM (e.g. Windows 7)? In case of chossing hyper-v, is it possible to use hypervisor for veeam instead? There´s no other workload overnight, only backup job....
Veeam B&R itself can be installed on any existing machine (either physical or virtual), including Hyper-V host (see system requirements for details).
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:2. If I understand that right, if I use offsite windows server to optimize data flow there should be transport service installed (in form of proxy). Can proxy receive data an put it to local storage?
3. If I´d choose offsite linux server I could use NFS share without proxy right?
Veeam agent (call it transport service, proxy, etc..) is installed on every Windows or Linux-type backup repository and is responsible for receiving and processing the data transferred from the source agent. In case of CIFS-type backup repository, an additional proxying server is required for the agent to be installed on to optimize data transfer (so that data could be transferred in a compressed form between agents). This agent is then writes data to the CIFS share directly.

Btw, have you heard about new Backup Copy job that will be available in the upcoming v7 and designed specifically with the offsite backup scenario in mind?
Vee@mMeUpScotty
Novice

Thx for quick reply foggy,

So it´s like

[Hypervisor Standalone] <== (grabs machines via API)===== [Veeam B&R physical or as VM inside Hypervisor] ========(WAN / http???)========> [Veeam Proxy] ====LAN===(SMB)===LAN====> [SHARE] ???

Also can offsite veeam proxy have storage at the same time? So I´d just need one offsite server?

[Hypervisor Standalone] <== (grabs machines via API)===== [Veeam B&R physical or as VM inside Hypervisor] ========(WAN / http???)========> [Veeam Proxy + Direct attached HDDs] ???
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:[Hypervisor Standalone] <== (grabs machines via API)===== [Veeam B&R physical or as VM inside Hypervisor] ========(WAN / http???)========> [Veeam Proxy] ====LAN===(SMB)===LAN====> [SHARE] ???
There's just no HTTP.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:Also can offsite veeam proxy have storage at the same time? So I´d just need one offsite server?
Yes, proxy and repository roles can be accomplished by a single server.

Btw, there is a well-written architecture section in Veeam B&R user guide, worth reviewing for better understanding of the deployment scenarios.
Vee@mMeUpScotty
Novice

There's just no HTTP.
Which protocol is used for WAN transfer then ( or in-between proxy communication)?

Furthermore, what if I´d took a linux file server and bound a NFS repository to B&R. Offsite proxy service bofore that share needed or not?

Also, what´s the best backup type for offsite WAN copy in regard of saving transfer volume. Forward or reverse incremental?

When will v7 be released?
Until v7 is available, how to configure / what´s the best way in v6.5 to get an additional WAN copy. Remember, I´m doing local backups on a NAS before.

I´ll have a look to the user guide. I read a lot around but not everything is clear to me, so I´m asking here.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:Which protocol is used for WAN transfer then ( or in-between proxy communication)?
TCP/IP. There's a dedicated section where all the required ports and connection are listed in the product user guide.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:Furthermore, what if I´d took a linux file server and bound a NFS repository to B&R. Offsite proxy service bofore that share needed or not?
No, agent will be installed on a Linux server.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:Also, what´s the best backup type for offsite WAN copy in regard of saving transfer volume. Forward or reverse incremental?
Forward incremental mode is preferred as it allows to copy changes only on an everyday basis.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:When will v7 be released?
Here is a fresh estimation of the release date from Anton.
Vee@mMeUpScotty wrote:Until v7 is available, how to configure / what´s the best way in v6.5 to get an additional WAN copy. Remember, I´m doing local backups on a NAS before.
There are a number of existing topics regarding that, I suggest reviewing them for the answer. The couple of the most recent ones are: Best backup setup for mirroring backup respository and v6 - How to have a local and off-site backup copy?.

We also have a sticky FAQ topic that covers most of the basic questions, please take a look.

Hope this helps.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

foggy wrote: Forward incremental mode is preferred as it allows to copy changes only on an everyday basis.
If the question is about v7, backup mode of the primary backup job does not matter at all. Backup Copy job will transfer changes only regardless of how source data is stored. Remember, Backup Copy is not about literally copying the backup files that primary backup job creates.
Vee@mMeUpScotty
Novice

Thx for all the info so far.

If we´d like to use new WAN acceleration feature of v7, would a simple off-site smb or nfs share (for example offered by a cloud storage provider) be enough
or would we have to have a full offsite linux or windows OS available (e.g. v or root server) for installing proxy/agent?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Peter, you will have to set up a new or use any existing Windows machine for WAN accelerator service, just like for the proxy server agent currently.