Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Possible Bug: Cannot view CIFS (SMB) files on local server

Post by davidkillingsworth »

So I have a small SMB setup, which is just a single Veeam server, which is also the proxy.

I have a Synology NAS connected to a Windows 2012 R2 server. This is a persistently mapped SMB drive in Windows on E:. This is my only Veeam server. In Veeam 9, update 1, I have the repository as a CIFS (SMB) share.

In Veeam, when I go to Files, under Microsoft Windows, I can see the local server, but only the C: and D: drive.

This came up because I wanted to manually delete some restores points because the disk is filling up faster than the automatic pruning is taking place. I don't see any other place where I can view the restore points and delete them.

Any ideas?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Possible Bug: Cannot view CIFS (SMB) files on local serv

Post by PTide »

Is your VBR console installed on the same host with VBR or you use remote console?
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Yes, VBR console, VBR, and the server that has the CIFS (SMB) mapped to the Synology NAS are all the same server.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please check whether both the account specified for VBR service and the user account that you are using have read/write permissions on the share.
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Veeam and it's services are running under Local System account in the Windows services panel.

When I start Veeam by clikcing on the veeam icon on the desktop, it uses the LOCAL Administrator account to connect to the Veeam service.

As mentioned, the share is a Synology NAS. The user account that has access to it is a Synology user.

How to resolve?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

There should be a host entry with "Localhost" in description under Microsoft Windows node and your netwrok drive should be visible if you choose that host. Also I'd like to go back to your initial question:
This came up because I wanted to manually delete some restores points because the disk is filling up faster than the automatic pruning is taking place. I don't see any other place where I can view the restore points and delete them.
Are you talking about disk filling up with Veeam restore points? If so then could you explain your job settings and the other details of the problem please?

Thanks
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast

Hi,

I do not have localhost. I only have the name of my server under Files \ Windows Servers.

Please see the attached backup job settings. We originally set the job to have 14 restore points. The synology disk is full, so I wanted to manually delete some restore points and then edit the job to only have 10 restore points.

PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That really looks strange, please open a case with support team and post your case ID here. Regarding deleting restore points - please check this KB.

Thanks
mudasirp@mashreq.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mudasir Pervez

Post by mudasirp@mashreq.com »

I have windows 2012 R2, but i have not seen map drive work as veeam repository.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mudasir, could you please describe your issue in a bit more detail? Are you trying to add mapped drive as a repository or do you want to copy files from it with the help of the file copy job?