Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rickyxt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Landen

Possible to send incremental changes only to remote location

Post by rickyxt »

Hi

Our company is thinking of trialing Veeam B&R to backup our small virtual environment (2 ESXi hosts and around 20 VMs). We will be backing up to dedicated iSCSI storage which is separate from the production SAN. My boss would like us to be able to copy the on site backup to cloud hosted storage. Due to the cost of this solution, he would like storage usage to be kept to a minimum. If we use forward incrementals is it possible to to send only the incremental changes off site to the cloud storage to try and reduce the amount of consumed resources? The idea being that in a disaster the incrementals could be brought back onsite from the cloud provider and used to restore the VMs.

I'm thinking this is not an ideal solution and maybe better to get a server and storage at remote office for this purpose.

Richard
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Possible to send incremental changes only to remote loca

Post by kjc3303 »

You can use repliction (rsync or similar) software to only send you .vib/.vrb but if you only sent your incrementals to the cloud and you had a disaster you wouldn't be able to restore without your fulls. (vbks).

Cheers

Kev
rickyxt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Landen

Post by rickyxt »

Okay thanks for confirming this, without replication of the .vbk files the incrementals are useless (in a disaster scenario).

Richard
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

I suppose you could offload the vbk to cheap offsite storage, USB Drives.

Kev