Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ratcha
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Possible to use Veeam 7 to backup the backup server?

Post by Ratcha »

I'm still running Backup Exec, but it's only job at this point is to backup the backup server, including the latest veeam backups, to tape. Now that V7 is out and has tape support, does it have the ability to backup the server it's installed on to tape?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Possible to use Veeam 7 to backup the backup server?

Post by foggy »

If Veeam B&R is installed on a VM, it can be used to backup itself. All backups created by Veeam B&R can be then backed up to tape. Could you please tell a bit more about your setup? Am I right assuming that your backup server is a backup repository you are backing up to?
Ratcha
Influencer

Post by Ratcha »

Our backup server is a physical server dedicated to backups. Backup software installed on this server is presently B&R 6.5 and Backup Exec 2010 (and a bunch of small utilities for managing/copying other backups from within our virtual environment).

Backup Exec is currently used to backup this physical server to disk, then replicate to tape. It has a separate job to copy the Veeam B&R backups to tape.

Can B&R 7 now handle backups of this physical server (to disk, tape, or both) allowing me to ditch Backup Exec once and for all?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Actually, in order to protect Veeam Backup and Replication server you can utilize configuration backup feature that was introduced in 6.5 version and that is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the VB&R SQL database. In other words, nowadays there is no longer need for backing up VB&R server as a whole - in case of disaster, you can just re-install VB&R from the scratch and then import configuration.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ratcha wrote:Can B&R 7 now handle backups of this physical server (to disk, tape, or both) allowing me to ditch Backup Exec once and for all?
And answering your question: no, Veeam B&R cannot be used to back up physical servers. Althought it has the option to backup files from any Windows or Linux servers (either virtual or physical) registered in Veeam B&R under Backup Infrastructure directly to tape, this does not allow you to track data on tape and if the only purpose of backing backup server up is protecting Veeam B&R itself, ability to back up and restore its configuration should be considered at the first place.
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

Another option is to use built in Windows Server Backup to protect the OS of backup server itself.
You can target the backup to an external usb disk - and select to backup "bare metal only" = system drive C and related partitions.

Yizhar
Ratcha
Influencer

Post by Ratcha »

v.Eremin wrote:Actually, in order to protect Veeam Backup and Replication server you can utilize configuration backup feature that was introduced in 6.5 version and that is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the VB&R SQL database. In other words, nowadays there is no longer need for backing up VB&R server as a whole - in case of disaster, you can just re-install VB&R from the scratch and then import configuration.
In our case we have application level backups being saved directly to direct-attached storage on our backup server. This data needs to be archived to tape weekly. Simply rebuilding the server would not cut it in this instance.

I don't really see a way of making this work in a virtual environment with the amount of data we have on the backup server while remaining cost effective, though I haven't put a ton of thought into it. I just checked and our Backup Exec renewal for this one server is under $300/year, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to come anywhere close that when trying to virtualize TB's of data in order to make it B&R friendly.
foggy wrote:And answering your question: no, Veeam B&R cannot be used to back up physical servers. Althought it has the option to backup files from any Windows or Linux servers (either virtual or physical) registered in Veeam B&R under Backup Infrastructure directly to tape, this does not allow you to track data on tape and if the only purpose of backing backup server up is protecting Veeam B&R itself, ability to back up and restore its configuration should be considered at the first place.
It's good to hear that B&R can backup files from physical servers as I didn't realize that. I'll remain hopeful that one day it can catalog these files somehow. B&R 7.5 perhaps? :D
yizhar wrote:Hi.

Another option is to use built in Windows Server Backup to protect the OS of backup server itself.
You can target the backup to an external usb disk - and select to backup "bare metal only" = system drive C and related partitions.

Yizhar
In addition to the system partition we require archiving 10 or so TB of data to tape each week which unfortunately still requires another backup solution in order to catalog that data.

Thanks all for the answers and suggestions.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Could elaborate on what type of “catalogue” you’re talking here about? For now all files that have been copied to tape medias via "files to tape" job are shown in VB&R server under the “Files -> Tapes” node, is that what you're looking for? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ratcha wrote:In addition to the system partition we require archiving 10 or so TB of data to tape each week which unfortunately still requires another backup solution in order to catalog that data.
That data will be copied to tapes using Veeam B&R backup-to-tape jobs, while the system partition (if still required) can be independently backed up using file-to-tape jobs.
Ratcha
Influencer

Post by Ratcha »

v.Eremin wrote:Could elaborate on what type of “catalogue” you’re talking here about? For now all files that have been copied to tape medias via "files to tape" job are shown in VB&R server under the “Files -> Tapes” node, is that what you're looking for? Thanks.
This appears to conflict with what foggy wrote earlier:
foggy wrote:Althought it has the option to backup files from any Windows or Linux servers (either virtual or physical) registered in Veeam B&R under Backup Infrastructure directly to tape, this does not allow you to track data on tape
I'm probably not understanding these answers. By catalog I'm referring to the database which contains a list of all files which have been backed up (and have not expired or been overwritten) which I could search to determine if particular files still exist in our tape archives from a certain date or date range, and which media those files reside on. This is the terminology Symantec uses within Backup Exec. The answer by foggy above led me to believe this cataloging feature is not present in B&R 7 for files backed up from a physical server. I know the jobs have the option of indexing files of virtual guests, but is this same option available for physical servers, and is this "index" searchable enabling us to locate the media the files in question are on?
foggy wrote: That data will be copied to tapes using Veeam B&R backup-to-tape jobs, while the system partition (if still required) can be independently backed up using file-to-tape jobs.
Can you please expand upon the "data will be copied to tapes" part with regards to index/catalog searching, and determining media required for restore?

Has the ability to install windows, install B&R, then restore the system to it's state at backup (all installed apps working)?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There must have been a certain kind of misunderstanding. Foggy’s referred to the lack of VM (not the file) tape tracking mechanism. That being said, if you copy backup files to tape appliances using “files to tape” job, instead of "backup to tape" one, you won’t know on which tape medias particular VMs reside on, what medias are required in order to restore certain VM, etc.

However, as mentioned above, the files itself are shown in the GUI under the “Files -> Tapes” node. Also, if you try to restore a given file, you will be notified about what medias are required in order to restore it.

Actually, I recommend creating/running a simple “files to tape” job and seeing whether it meets your “catalog” requirements or not.

Thanks.