Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Potential Immutability bug

Post by DaveWatkins »

I've just discovered something that could potentially be considered a bug with Immutability.

We have XFS based repos with immutability on and this has been working perfectly. However, today I discovered that if a backup job fails to complete then none of the backup files from that run are marked as immutable. In our case it was simple because we'd setup a CDP replica yesterday and forgot to exclude it from the job and it failed to backup. This is with per-vm files and I would have expected any VM's in the job that did complete successfully would be marked immutable, even if a single VM failed to backup (for whatever reason).

I'm guessing immutability is only marked after the job successfully completes backing up everything, rather than perhaps doing it as each VM or agent succeeds

Or I've just got something weird going on and this shouldn't have happened at all.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Potential Immutability bug

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that sounds wrong to me. Can you please open a support case for that and post the case number here? Which VBR version are you using?

Best regards,
Hannes
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Using v11. A retry of the job (even though there was nothing to do because I'd excluded the replica) did then correctly set the immutability bit.

I'll see what I can do about opening a ticket. Our licensing is done via an MSP so we don't have direct access to the support portal and will have to try and go through them
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

if you post the case number, I can route it through support. thanks!