Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sa2057
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Power cuts

Post by sa2057 »

Hello All,

I wonder if some one could advice me. we have scheduled powercuts on our main site where our veeam backup server and two other sans connected to Backup server resides and our plan is to shut down all our hosts, storage and backup untill Monday morning. What are the things the need checking prior shutdown process.Things like ..

Backup & replication jobs scheduled on saturday, sunday and Monday morning need to be disabled or will it be okay to leave it as it is.

Will there be any impact on existing backup's after we restart the backup server on Monday as I've scheduled full backup's and roll back on weekend.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance

SA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Power cuts

Post by foggy »

No impact on existing backups, the job will continue to run according to its schedule. Synthetic full and transform operations will be performed the next day they are scheduled for.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

... which implies, need space for another week of deltas, if your transforms are missed.
sa2057
Influencer

Post by sa2057 »

Thank you all for the response.

Yes synthetic fulls and transformation are scheduled and will there be any effect on the next scheduled full backup job??.

Could you pl. update this post.

Thanks

SA
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Synthetic full will take longer than usual due to larger number of increments to process.
sa2057
Influencer

Post by sa2057 »

Ok. sorry for the confusion. Say I set restore points to keep on disk to 14 and deleted VMs retention period set to 14 as Veeam's default , then I can see one full backup , 8 Roll backs and 5 increments. Ok

Here is my scenario
Syenthetic full and tranformation scheduled on saturday.what happens to the next scheduled backup( incremental in my case ) that is going to take place on Monday evening? or Does it start with incremental or ???

Could some one explain please

Thanks

SA
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The job will run incremental on Monday evening.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

... so the increments build up daily over the week, as usual, but since no transform happened at the weekend because the machine was off, so there will be many more restore points than you'd expect by next weekend, i.e. the last successful transform + daily increments ever since + roll backs before it as defined in the policy.

Then next weekend when the transform does run, the number of restore points will be condensed down to what you'd expect as a full transform + rollbacks. As there will be more to process, so it will take longer to run.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Or just set the system time of your Veeam server back to saturday and run the job. So transform would be processed. But dont forget to switch back the time ;)
This is how it worked for me once where i had to do this.
sa2057
Influencer

Post by sa2057 »

Thank you all.

Regards

SA