Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

No, this is not possible.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2564 times

Re: Pre freeze scripts with Domino Server

Veeam Logoby tc.gan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Gostev,

Can Veeam provide an Official Document on how to perform backup for Domino server (windows 2003/2008)?Instead of search it at forums, we may miss out some topics.It's a huge of enterprise company are using Domino server instead of Exchange. So far what i found are:

1)pre-freeze script for Domino server and use VMware tools quiescence instead of “Application-ware image processing”
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4979&hilit=domino

2) Some tips to avoid backing up changes that You don't need on Domino. (forum topics is Lotus notes leads to big incremental files) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9204&p=38972#p38972

That mean i need to perform both step meation above? Is Symantec Backup Exec able to backup without stop & start Domino services? My customer is using BE2010 now. Thank you very much

Best Regards,
Andy
tc.gan
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Gan Tien Chor

Veeam Logoby kjc3303 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Andy

re BE2010, BE offers an agent (Paid For)which enables the Domino server to be backed up without the db being stopped and started.(see below)

Veeam Guys - is this something that may possibly be incorporated into Veeam? This is the only issue/drawback that I have found with veeam my main concern is that I can not replicate regularly enough as can not afford the down time.

3. How are applications that are not VSS-compliant protected?
Answer-
Applications installed in Windows or Linux Guest virtual machines that are not VSScompliant
such as Lotus Domino, Oracle, SAP, DB2, etc cannot be properly quieisced
using the VMware or Backup Exec VSS Requestor/Provider. It is recommended that
Backup Exec Database or Application Agents be used inside of the Guest virtual
machine to protect these applications.
Alternatively, Backup Exec pre-post job scripts can be created and used in conjunction
with VMware’s VCB scripting to shut down these applications prior to backup.

Kev
kjc3303
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello Gan Tien Chor,

If you need to create a pre-freeze/post-thaw script for the application that does not have VSS writers and providers, then you need to refer to the documentation of the vendor of your application, since only vendor knows exactly how to prepare its application for the backup process.

Could you please tell me if you had a chance to take a look at Domino Community Forums for some script examples?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1235 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tc.gan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 am

Hi Kev & Vitaliy S.

Thanks for your information. By the way, customer not allow to down the domino services, they also wondering the services fail to start(in case). They will remain using BE2010 as the BE agent can backup it without down the services. I would like to suggest Veeam to develop agent like BE done for domino server, it's huge of enterprise prefer domino instead of Exchange.Thanks.

Best regard,
Andy
tc.gan
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Gan Tien Chor

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 am

Really? I've seen in many years many Notes/Domino customers migrating to MS Exchange...
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1446 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm 1 person likes this post

This problem doesn't impact only Veeam, but any image based backup solution. You should really be asking IBM/Lotus to address this issue and provide a hot-backup option for Domino (if using DB2 as the backing store this is more possible already).

Domino databases with transaction logging enabled can be backed up reasonably with snapshot based technologies and simply rely on log replay when performing restores. I do not recommend using snapshots without transaction logging because you would need to run the manual database consistency check tool on each database which would be too time consuming. Some information about using snapshot based backups to backup Domino is available here.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1977 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

[MERGED] IBM DB2

Veeam Logoby PKaufmann » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Guys,

we are switching from IBM TSM to Veeam and I already searched the forum and used google,
but no success..

So Is there anybody that is doing DB2 Backups with Veeam and like to share their pre-freeze/post scripts ?
PKaufmann
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication