Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
athome
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Thome

Re: Preserve permissions during file level restore

Post by athome »

I'll try to clarify: :-)

In version 4.x you needed vmware player to get the drives of the guest you're restoring files from, shown as local drives on the veeam backup server, Or do I remember wrong?

But from what I have understood, you should not have to install vmware player in Veeam B&R 5.x

The problem is not that I can not restore single files .. but I'd like to have the clients drives to be mounted as separate drive letters, so I eg. run robocopy or scripts to extract the relevant files to restore

R
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

athome wrote:In version 4.x you needed vmware player to get the drives of the guest you're restoring files from, shown as local drives on the veeam backup server, Or do I remember wrong?
No, VMware Player was never required for Windows FLR. We required this for Linux FLR only in v4. But you are doing Windows FLR anyway...
athome wrote:The problem is not that I can not restore single files .. but I'd like to have the clients drives to be mounted as separate drive letters, so I eg. run robocopy or scripts to extract the relevant files to restore
Most likely this is because you have Windows automount disabled on your Veeam server. With automount disabled, new drives must be mounted manually via Windows Disk Management snap-in.
athome
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Thome

Post by athome »

Hmm.. automount disabled might be the reason.. This beeing a Veeam virtual appliance there should be no problem around running automount enable?

A
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Depends... if you have your VMFS volumes mounted to this VM (for Direct SAN Access processing mode), then you should not enable automount. It may also cause issue with backed up VMs' volumes persisting as mounted when using Virtual Appliance processing mode (this should not "brake" anything though). For Network processing mode, enabling automount will not cause any issues for sure.