Primary ReFS Backup Repository Space Savings?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Primary ReFS Backup Repository Space Savings?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am

Can you work part by part? Doing a migration per backup job (for example)? From the moment that migrated backup job is using the block cloning API (Don't forget simply copying will not align the blocks automatically!)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 359 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby nsumner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am

I understand the fastclone will only take effect after the first full backup. But right now I have 50TB say of backups. They are monthly and probably 90% the same so let us just say for arguments sake that it actually would require 10TB if all of those backups had gone to REFS starting 5 months ago.

I want to get my current 50TB down to 10TB! But simply copying files doesn't actually take advantage of fast clone. How can I take advantage of the fast clone to get things working normally.
nsumner
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Noach Sumner

Veeam Logoby nsumner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:Can you work part by part? Doing a migration per backup job (for example)? From the moment that migrated backup job is using the block cloning API (Don't forget simply copying will not align the blocks automatically!)

Mike how do I do a migration per copy job? Will that align the blocks? I can do it and would love to do it! But I'm not 100% clear on how you want me to do it.

BTW Does the server Veeam is on have to be Windows 2016 or only the server with the storage attached to it?
nsumner
Novice

Veeam Logoby futureweb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Only the Server with Storage attached to it needs to be Windows 2016. We have it this way, and works fine. Veeam is still on 2012.
futureweb
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Patrick

Veeam Logoby nsumner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks, that was my plan. Do you know how to a migration copy?
nsumner
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

nsumner wrote:Mike how do I do a migration per copy job? Will that align the blocks? I can do it and would love to do it! But I'm not 100% clear on how you want me to do it.

You need to trigger full backup on each job one by one. After the first full, the job will start utilizing fastclone and subsequent fulls will be "spaceless".
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1060 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication