Problem restoring files from windows file server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Veeam Logoby Vidas » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:13 am

Sethbartlett wrote:This is a Microsoft limitation that they still have not addressed on a max of 256-260 characters for a path/file. You might actually be able to get the files doing other-OS restore also with FTP and copying the files over.

Why? My FILE is 67 chr long, PATH is 158 chr long.
I have same lenghts in veem backup browser with difference C: in veem and G: in server. And get 2 errors restoring guest files:

1.could not find 'FILE'
Veem backup browser don't show the content of PATH. The content of directory is empty. No one file in directory view.

2.The specified path....... 260......248...
This error occure when i copy full directory. Shorter FILE are copied from PATH to destination without problem. Longer FILE are ignored. My example is 158+67=225 char long. Virtual server name is 7 char long.
Vidas
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Please contact our support team for assistance with your first error message, as further debug log investigation might be required. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1089 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Vidas wrote:My example is 158+67=225 char long

Plus the length of temporary folder where backup content is mounted - and you are over Microsoft limitation. I recommend upgrading to 6.1, as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2318 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby Vidas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:46 am

Gostev wrote:
Vidas wrote:My example is 158+67=225 char long

Plus the length of temporary folder where backup content is mounted - and you are over Microsoft limitation. I recommend upgrading to 6.1, as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores.

No problems. I'll run this script daily:
Code: Select all
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objStartFolder = "C:\share" + "\"

Set objRootFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)
For Each rootDir in objRootFolder.SubFolders
   klaiduFailas = rootDir.Path + "\file_path_erros.txt"
   if objFSO.FileExists(klaiduFailas)=true then
   objFSO.DeleteFile klaiduFailas
   end if
   ShowSubfolders objFSO.GetFolder(rootDir), klaiduFailas
Next

CONST ForAppending = 8
CONST filePathIlgis = 245
Sub ShowSubFolders(Folder, klaiduFailas)
    Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(Folder.Path)
    Set colFiles = objFolder.Files
    For Each objFile in colFiles
   filePath = Folder.Path + "\" + objFile.Name
        if len(filePath) > filePathIlgis then
            Set ObjFile = ObjFso.OpenTextFile (klaiduFailas, ForAppending, True)
            ObjFile.WriteLine("filePath " & (len(filePath) - filePathIlgis) & " lenght error: " & filePath)
       ObjFile.Close
        end if
    Next

For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
        ShowSubFolders Subfolder, klaiduFailas
    Next
End Sub
Vidas
Novice

Veeam Logoby MSc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 am

We still have this problem under Veeam6.1 on a customer system. Running a user directory restore results in:

"...the qualified Filename must be shorter than 260 chars and the pathname must be shorter than 248 chars..." (loose translation from a German system call)

Are there any settings to be changed or altered?
MSc
Lurker

Full Name: Martin Schenker

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 pm

How are you performing the restore with 6.1?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rvnieuwh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:55 am

At have the same issue.
Made a call with Veeam.
They said, in short, works as designed and is a Windows limitation.

Tried "Guest Files (Windows)" and "Guest Files (Other OS)".

With first option we get the filename/path length limitation error.
With second option files with special characters (like ë) in the name are not restored.

Veeam suggests a workaround by doing an Instant Recovery. http://www.veeam.com/KB1459
rvnieuwh
Lurker

Full Name: Richard van Nieuwenhuizen

File level restore

Veeam Logoby MartijnV » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm

[merged]

I have a fileserver with long named files (users write to a share, causing the full path on the server to exceed the Windows maximum of 250 (or whatever the max is :P) ).
This makes it impossible to restore the files with Windows File level restore option.
The other OS guest file restore option does not have this limitation, however some of the files have non unicode characters which can not be read by the FLR appliance and thus can not be restored.

Is it possible to add character sets to the appliance, or is it possible to restore the files in some way other than restoring the complete server or disk that contains the files?
MartijnV
Novice

Full Name: Martijn Verkuijlen

Re: Restore problem with German umlauts in filenames

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Martijn, what Veeam B&R version are you using? If it is v6, then I would recommend upgrading to v6.1 as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores than v6 and could decrease the probability of exceeding the 260 characters path limit in Windows.

Otherwise, you can use one of the workarounds described above. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby wksantiago » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm

We have v6.1.0.181 (32 bit) and are having the same problem.
Is there another patch?
Thanks,
wksantiago
Enthusiast

Full Name: William K. Santiago

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm

You have 6.1 RTM code. Yes, there is a patch for version 6.1, please see sticky topic in this very forum.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TrevorBell » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Anton/ Vit ;)

Even with V6.1.0.205 the issue is still there ..here is the scenario........

Made Full Backup.... copied it to a USB drive.....plugged usb into a new server...i wanted to mount the *.vbk and copy the files to a new share on a windows 2008 server.... and i got the same error

"The specified path,file name, or both are too long. The full qualified file name must be less than 260 charachters, and the directory name must be less than 248 charaacters"

If this is a windows limitation then ill try with Backup Exec 2012 to get round it in this instance........ remember i cant use other o/s option as this is a stand alone windows server i want to copy the file too.

thanks

Trev
TrevorBell
Expert

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Trevor, I'm not sure there is any other workaround for this Windows limitation, except for using much shorter mount path for interactive restores which we have already implemented in 6.1.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby DanQcCa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Problem always present with V6.5.0.106 (64 bit)

from a replica or a backup, Restore guest files (Windows)
Just browsing a too long directory cause the message to appear. Max of 260 - 248 characters. Unable to see what is in that directory. I need to restore a directory one level bellow, then Veeam will restore file and folder but not restore the long name. But other short file will be restored.

From a replica, Restore guest files (Other OS)
I can browse and restore file to a local directory on the backup server. File name with special caracter like à é are not restored. This is a method to bypass the problem.

From a backup, Restore guest files (Other OS), I cannot use this option because my backup file are not on the same host as my source host. Backup are on a NAS. I received this error message "Mount host is not specified for backup repository "QNAP""

I cannot create on a XP or Windows Server 2003 a folder longuer than around 257 characters. It stop me. Or a very long folder (240) and a too long file name (25). It is not possible to create directly on the server a too long file name/directory.

BUT if i create 5 folder that give a total of 240 characters on the server. Then share the last folder. From a user computer, I connect to this shared folder, I will be able to create a file name longuer than 25 or more characters. This is the way for a file/directory to be too long.

It's a huge problem because it's not a safe way for me (and nobody) to do backup with Veeam Backup & Replication V6.5.0.106 (64 bit) and not be able to restore some file or folder! I now need to said to my boss : I cannot restore every file and folder. The answer will be : find a product that will be able to restore EVERY FILES.
DanQcCa
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: daniel marcotte

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 am

DanQcCa wrote:From a backup, Restore guest files (Other OS), I cannot use this option because my backup file are not on the same host as my source host. Backup are on a NAS. I received this error message "Mount host is not specified for backup repository "QNAP""

There is no such requirement for the "Other OS" FLR wizard, so your setup shouldn't be an issue. Please investigate this problem with our support team.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication