Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Problems after upgrading to V6.1

Post by Gostev »

As far as I know, there is no standalone hotfix for this issue available. I am guessing, support had never requested it because there is simple workaround available (explained in my original post).
itdirector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: friedman

Post by itdirector »

Maybe I am not understanding the simple workaround then.
Again, we have a 3TB full with 11 100GB+ transforms (this is a monthly job that has a 7 year retention policy).
The workaround states to run a regular or synthetic full (no transform), then run the job again with the transform enabled. Wouldn't this either cause us to have to retain two 3TB fulls or cause the job to have to re-transform 11 100GB+ existing tranforms, which will take forever?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. I called it "simple" based on my personal view, and because if it was not acceptable for most customers, support would have long requested R&D to provide a standalone hotfix.

In your case, I recommend regular synthetic full (for performance reasons). 3 TB is a single hard drive these days, so I hope this won't be a problem for you to find this extra space.

Alternatively, you can move all your current backups for this job to another storage, and perform the active full.

Finally, you can try pushing support for the hotfix, and see if they can have R&D retrieve the required modules from the most current Patch 1 build. While there is no official standalone hotfix for this issue, it might be possible (unless required modules are involved in other fixes, and still have unresolved bugs preventing them from being distributed).

Thanks.
itdirector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: friedman

Post by itdirector »

Ok, got it. Thx.

It is not a matter of a 3TB backup easily fitting into a $200 Sata single drive. We keep our backups on enterprise storage & need to follow strict guidlines for our data security due to our industry. We can't just keep the backup on some single 3TB drive & store that somewhere.

Am I correct to assume the following:
- If we run a new synthetic full (no transform) on the first job now, then delete the old 3TB full, then run the job again with transform, that all of our 11 100GB+ transforms will be re-transformed & we would end up with one 3TB full + 12 transforms that can all be used & we can restore from? I understand this may take days to complete.

or

-If we wait for Patch 1 to come out, running the job as normal (synthetic full with transform), that the "Full point was not found" error will go away & the job will run as normal, without any modification by us?

Thx
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You cannot delete your old full after running the new full if older restore points matter to you (transform does not touch previous full backups). You would have to live with 2 full backups until you no longer need restore points contained in older full by retention.

I don't know if the patch will simply prevent future occurrences of this issue, or will also be able to fix the existing issue - I would need to ask QC.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

BTW, there could be manual way to fix this issue without full backup as well too, if full is unacceptable. Support will be able to advice if there is one. I just don't know all the details support has... always best to be working with support directly. I am nothing but a very slow proxy server in this sort of situations :D
Davd
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hirsman

Post by Davd »

Gostev wrote:OK, so the original problem discussed in this thread (see summary in my post the previous page) is addressed in Patch 1 that should be released soon.
This specifically is not a known issue, so please open a support case and provide all logs for further investigation.
I have this problem as well. I changed repository from Windows to CIFS and got the error (full point was no found). I then changed back from CIFS to Windows but the error persist. Any solution to this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Support will be able to advice you how to resolve this issue after reviewing your job debug log files.