Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbeunel
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: jerome Beunel

Re: Problems with making replication work across a WAN/VPN?

Post by jbeunel » Mar 08, 2010 9:17 am

Hi,

I changed the MTU on my VEEAM server to 1400 but the speed is still limited at 300KB/s by job.

This is the sniffer capture:

any ideas?
regards

TMassa
Enthusiast
Full Name: Tony Massa

Post by TMassa » Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm

(This doesn't appear to be your specific problem, but for anyone who may stumble upon this thread, hopefully it will save you the frustration that I incurred)
I experienced an issue where a secured DMZ AD domain was configured using the high-security template from Microsoft. During troubleshooting an application problem, I discovered that PMTU discovery was disabled on all of the servers, thereby forcing all packet sizes to be 576. Needless to say, it caused pitiful performace. Once I disabled the domain policy that was disabling PMTU, and rebooted the environment , normal traffic speeds were acheived.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900926

Good luck.

donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz » Mar 18, 2010 4:39 pm

icebun wrote:Guys,

I have got a site to site VPN (10MB Production, 6MB DR).
While just replicating a single VM (around 20GB), I am getting very poor transfer rate speeds. It's around 380kb/s.
The replication is configured as a Virual Applicance using the vStorage API method.
I am using a pair of Juniper SS140 firewalls and am keen to know if there are any adjustments that need to be made to improve throughput.
Is it the server I need to modify or the Firewalls?
From your post in another thread, looks like this is still a problem for you. Gotta watch the bits & bytes -- I assume you're replicating over a 6 Mb link? What kind of transfer speeds do you get over that link without Veeam, like FTP? What sort of replication speeds do you get locally to that same destination? Gotta work through the different potential factors. Thanks

sjutras
Service Provider

Post by sjutras » Apr 08, 2010 2:54 pm

In our case, the ICMP/MTU config was fine, but the problem was due to the Veeam server being on the DR site.

We monitored traffic and found out that even with compression activated on the Veeam server, it would compress onlt once the traffic has reach the Veeam Server, so the .vrb appears to be 149MB but in reality there was around 607MB of traffic generated.

I will backup Veeam server and place it at the HQ site and re-test to see but i am pretty sure it is our issue.

ahahum
Influencer
Full Name: Adam Bond

Post by ahahum » Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Am I supposed to be changing the MTU on my firewalls responsible for the IPSec Tunnel? Or on my ESX hosts at each site? Or my Veeam server? Or a combination of these?

I've narrowed it down to anything over 1330 gets fragmented, I'm just unsure where to make the changes.

pesgit
Lurker
Full Name: PESG IT

Post by pesgit » Jun 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Check MTU along a path using the tracepath program on Linux. example: myserver$ tracepath -n 192.168.1.100