Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
glamic26
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Product Request - Resource Usage Log as a graph

Post by glamic26 » 1 person likes this post

When we start seeing issues within our Veeam environment now one of the first logs that I check is the Resource Usage log in the logs directory on the Veeam B&R server. This details the number of tasks that the proxies and repositories are handling at any given time and I find it really useful to see if the environment is handling the load we are putting on it.

However, it is really hard to read. Especially when trying to see a trend over time. What would be really good is if this was available in the form of a graph. However, unless anyone can correct me this is not something that is available either through Veeam B&R or EM or ONE. I would like to propose that this information is available in the form of a graph. If you could also see that alongside CPU and Memory usage for the proxies and repositories it would give a very quick overview of how well the existing environment was handling the load and also at which points of the day are the most intense to allow you to move backup jobs around to spread the load.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Product Request - Resource Usage Log as a graph

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Actually we do you it in our roadmap for future releases so if you have some additional request about proxy, repository usage over the time, please share.
Thank you for the feedback!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Actually, some information is already available in ONE and you case use these views to get the data you want:

1. Proxy Servers Overview (can show you how many disks/tasks were used for a given proxy)
2. Proxy Server Summary (drill downs to your proxy stats)
3. Veeam Backup & Replication Performance Charts (resource usage stats can show you resource consumption broken down by each job)
4. Backup Infrastructure Assessment (run this report to verify that all jobs are configured according to best practices, review "Job Performance Optimization" section)

Thanks!
glamic26
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by glamic26 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, it is good to know it is on the road map.

Thanks for the links to the charts already available, I must admit I hadn't seen some of these before.

I think what would be good would be the ability to overlap some of these charts so we could see for example the CPU usage of all proxies on the same graph, or overlap the number of concurrent tasks a proxy has with the Disk IO so that we can see exactly what might be causing the spikes at a particular time and all of the proxies or repositories affected.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Good idea!
We were also thinking about an analytical report of backup proxy activity.